• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce, don't know where husband is?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JS1223

What is the name of your state? AZ

I'm going to be filing for divorce, however I'm not sure if I can for one big reason: I have no idea where my husband is. I have an order of protection against him, so he had to leave my house. He has come back to get his stuff, but didn't leave an address or anything. I have no way to contact his family, and don't even know how to contact him via phone or email, if I could despite the order of protection.

If I file for divorce, and I cannot find him to have him served with papers, does the divorce proceed and complete after a certain amount of time has passed? Would I have to prove I could not find him and had no way of finding him?

And please don't chew me out for anything on here... I just need advice so I can get this over with and move on with my life and try to patch together what he has ruined. Thank you!

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? AZ

I'm going to be filing for divorce, however I'm not sure if I can for one big reason: I have no idea where my husband is. I have an order of protection against him, so he had to leave my house. He has come back to get his stuff, but didn't leave an address or anything. I have no way to contact his family, and don't even know how to contact him via phone or email, if I could despite the order of protection.

If I file for divorce, and I cannot find him to have him served with papers, does the divorce proceed and complete after a certain amount of time has passed? Would I have to prove I could not find him and had no way of finding him?

And please don't chew me out for anything on here... I just need advice so I can get this over with and move on with my life and try to patch together what he has ruined. Thank you!
There is a method of serving someone that you truly cannot find. It is serving them via publication. However, that is something that has very specific rules and proceedures and its difficult to do without an attorney.

He can be served at work if you know where he is employed.

lovesafron

Yes

Ldij is correct this is sensible issue and you can not afford any mistake here so better you consult good attorney and wish you to come out sucessfuly from this issue.....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">