• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce dragging out, please help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CThompson78

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Maine
Hello, I filled for a divorce and a protection order well over a year ago. We have a young daughter. The protection order was granted for me for 2 years and allows my daughter supervised contact only with her dad (for 2 years also). We have a GAL who also is recommending supervised visitation. My husband is very angry and not participating in the divorce process at all and now with our trial coming up his lawyer has submitted a motion to withdraw. What does this mean for me? Will I ever be able to get divorced from this man? Is there a time limit for a divorce process? My lawyer doesn’t seem to mind this is dragging out because he is getting paid for it. I’m not asking for anything in the divorce. No $ or marital property. The only thing I will not compromise on is him having unsupervised visitation with my daughter (which has been reinforced by a professional).
He also has racked up a substantial amount of debt since I left with my name attached to some of it. He is clamming he is going to file for bankruptcy. How does this affect my credit? I already have been denied a mortgage because his delinquent accounts (he quit his job and is not paying any bills) are dragging my credit score down.
I want so desperately to move on with my life, please advise!!

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Maine
Hello, I filled for a divorce and a protection order well over a year ago. We have a young daughter. The protection order was granted for me for 2 years and allows my daughter supervised contact only with her dad (for 2 years also). We have a GAL who also is recommending supervised visitation. My husband is very angry and not participating in the divorce process at all and now with our trial coming up his lawyer has submitted a motion to withdraw. What does this mean for me? Will I ever be able to get divorced from this man? Is there a time limit for a divorce process? My lawyer doesn’t seem to mind this is dragging out because he is getting paid for it. I’m not asking for anything in the divorce. No $ or marital property. The only thing I will not compromise on is him having unsupervised visitation with my daughter (which has been reinforced by a professional).
He also has racked up a substantial amount of debt since I left with my name attached to some of it. He is clamming he is going to file for bankruptcy. How does this affect my credit? I already have been denied a mortgage because his delinquent accounts (he quit his job and is not paying any bills) are dragging my credit score down.
I want so desperately to move on with my life, please advise!!
Why didn't you cancel any accounts with your name attached? Why did you allow him to run up debts in your name? If he doesn't pay the bills or files bankruptcy, you are going to be stuck with those debts. The creditors are not and will not be parties to your divorce.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">