• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

divorce during bankruptcy?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

Robert39

New Hampshire

Hello,

My wife and I live in New Hampshire, we have two children and own a house.

We are $90,000.00 in debt and have about $100k equity in our house.

I've filed bankruptcy several months ago - she did not - and have been told that I can't file for the divorce until the bankruptcy is discharged and that that could take as long as another 12 months!

My not-soon-enough to be ex-wife has told me that she will make this the longest 12 months I'll ever live (and she's doing it!) and that by the time she's thru with me and the kids we'll be permanently seeking therapy and addicted to Prozac! Her intention is to drag this out as long as possible and completely mess with our kids heads.

She does not work, having been fired from approximatley 20 positions in the last 8 years - which I've now found out is due to her stealing drugs on the job - she was a nurse (her license has been revoked for stealing drugs). She has been clean since I told her I was leaving her - about 10 months so far. The cleaner she gets the nastier she gets.

I need out of this situation, with my children in my custody, and care little for the equity in the property. My only concern at this stage is the sanity of my kids - and myself!

My wife has not tried to be physically abusive or threatening. Everything she does is done with cunning and subtlety, lies and manipulation. Although it is on record, just about everywhere, that she is a long time drug user.

Can anyone suggest anything?
Thank you!
- Rob

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">