• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

divorce during pregnancy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

volsfan75

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arkansas
My wife and I are seeking a divorce, filing together, without attorneys. We have been told that Arkansas will not grant a divorce while she is pregnant. We have been separated for over a year, and the child is not mine. If this is true, could someone point me to where the law states this. I have looked for days, and have found no provision which would prevent us from filing.

ecmst12

The divorce can't be finalized until the baby is born, and LEGALLY it will be yours until you go to court to disestablish paternity.

swalsh411

I think you can file in most states but it's judicial discretion whether or not it will be finalized before paternity is established. But I only basing this on what happened to my brother and some googling.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I think you can file in most states but it's judicial discretion whether or not it will be finalized before paternity is established. But I only basing this on what happened to my brother and some googling.
Paternity is established because the couple is MARRIED. Hence OP is legal daddy until paternity is DISESTABLISHED by the court.

cyjeff

Yup, that is why the divorce decree will be delayed until after the birth.

That way, the child will have a father and mother from day one. the husband then gets to wrangle the "that kid ain't mine" rodeo.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">