• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce with an EX who lives outside the US

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Drexler

Hi, after being married for 1.5 years, my ex and I split and have been living apart for more than two years now. We were married in both the US and in Bulgaria. We obtained a legal divorce in Bulgaria some time ago, but legally I have remained married in the US, due mostly to the fact that I have been moved for work often and many times did not meet the 6 month residency requirement to file a divorce in most states. I now have 6 months residency in NC and would like to file for divorce, however I do not know how. My ex and I have not communicated since the papers were filed in Bulgaria and she is not a citizen, nor was she, of the US. What is my best plan of action for completing my divorce?
Thanks,

mistoffolees

If you have a divorce from Bulgaria, that means you're divorced here, as well unless there's something really unusual about Bulgaria's laws.

Ask an attorney for a quick consultation.

LdiJ

Hi, after being married for 1.5 years, my ex and I split and have been living apart for more than two years now. We were married in both the US and in Bulgaria. We obtained a legal divorce in Bulgaria some time ago, but legally I have remained married in the US, due mostly to the fact that I have been moved for work often and many times did not meet the 6 month residency requirement to file a divorce in most states. I now have 6 months residency in NC and would like to file for divorce, however I do not know how. My ex and I have not communicated since the papers were filed in Bulgaria and she is not a citizen, nor was she, of the US. What is my best plan of action for completing my divorce?
Thanks,
Your best plan of action is that you need to do nothing. You are already divorced. Your legal divorce in Bulgaria is fully recognized by the US.

Unless you have property you need to deal with, or child custody you need to deal with, its a done deal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">