• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce is fianl and he is asking me to pay?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

My divorce was finalized in April of 2008. We have been sperated since June 06. He was ordered to pay for the divorce since it came by his actions. He filed for an uncontested divorce after the alloted 1 year of seperation (he actually filed for it 6 months after the one year date). he had a lawyer I didn't. We had no "marital assests" we rented our house, my car was in my father's name and my XH had just recently bought me and SUV about 4 months prior to us sperating. This vehicle only has his name on the title and the loan (it was bought as a Valentine's Day gift and I didn't know anything about it) he then started driving the vehicle I orginally had which was in my father's name.

That being said, the SUV was repoed after we seperated and then he paid whatever it was he needed try to get it back. Now he is saying that I need to pay him for my half of the vehicle because he is behind on his payments and it is getting ready to be repoed again. Our Divorce decree says nothing about any property only that the child custody will take place in XX county from here on out since have both moved from the county where we resided.

Am I correct in telling him I owe nothing on this, not only because it is all in his name but also because there is nothing in our paperwork stating we split that loan?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

My divorce was finalized in April of 2008. We have been sperated since June 06. He was ordered to pay for the divorce since it came by his actions. He filed for an uncontested divorce after the alloted 1 year of seperation (he actually filed for it 6 months after the one year date). he had a lawyer I didn't. We had no "marital assests" we rented our house, my car was in my father's name and my XH had just recently bought me and SUV about 4 months prior to us sperating. This vehicle only has his name on the title and the loan (it was bought as a Valentine's Day gift and I didn't know anything about it) he then started driving the vehicle I orginally had which was in my father's name.

That being said, the SUV was repoed after we seperated and then he paid whatever it was he needed try to get it back. Now he is saying that I need to pay him for my half of the vehicle because he is behind on his payments and it is getting ready to be repoed again. Our Divorce decree says nothing about any property only that the child custody will take place in XX county from here on out since have both moved from the county where we resided.

Am I correct in telling him I owe nothing on this, not only because it is all in his name but also because there is nothing in our paperwork stating we split that loan?
You are correct. In addition when one party keeps a vehicle, that party is 100% responsible for any loan on the vehicle anyway. Therefore, even if it had been mentioned in your paperwork, it would have stated who was keeping the vehicle, and therefore who was responsible for making the payments. It would NOT have stated that the payments were to be split.

You are correct. In addition when one party keeps a vehicle, that party is 100% responsible for any loan on the vehicle anyway. Therefore, even if it had been mentioned in your paperwork, it would have stated who was keeping the vehicle, and therefore who was responsible for making the payments. It would NOT have stated that the payments were to be split.
Ok great! thank you :D

nobsdivorce

Divorce

Frankly speaking, the word "Divorce" does not exist in the institution of marriage. If it was, then the question of vowing would not arise. Divorce means seperation from your vows due to reasons of non-rhyming of views or acts. The institution of marriage requires the partners to thrash out any differences and sort out the knots; - and not to run away from problems.

LdiJ

Frankly speaking, the word "Divorce" does not exist in the institution of marriage. If it was, then the question of vowing would not arise. Divorce means seperation from your vows due to reasons of non-rhyming of views or acts. The institution of marriage requires the partners to thrash out any differences and sort out the knots; - and not to run away from problems.
Since this is a legal forum, that deals entirely with legalities, what you posted is not relevant for this OP.

Well our differences were he liked other peoples different beds, and when I found out and told him I was leaving he decided I should think it out in a hospital for about wo weeks, so as much as I would have LOVED to worked things out, my first instinct was to RUN!! But thanks for your oh so helpful:rolleyes: ADVICE and JUDGEMENT AS WELL :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">