• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce is final, ex not doing as ordered

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pack4

What is the name of your state? Kentucky. My divorce has been final for over a year now. During the course of my drawn out divorce, I continued to pay the house payment by myself that was in both mine and exs name. At the final court hearing, the judge ordered ex to pay one half of the house payments I paid while the divorce was pending- but he only has to pay them in $75 payments until paid in full- what a joke- I wish my bank would have afforded me that arrangement, ha. It's about $4000. Well, six months after the divorce my ex hadnt paid ANY... so my attorney (at the time) took him back to court for contempt. Well, the day before the court hearing my ex brought my attorney a money order for the six payments he owed. This was in March 07. They went to court the next day, the judge was satisfied and it dropped. Now, here it is again, four months later and still not another payment. This is ridiculous since it is a tiny monthly payment. We share a child and I have his child support garnished or I know it wouldnt be paid, either. My question... I no longer have an attorney and I have checked around, I can retain another one for around $700 to take him back to court. If I have to go this route, can these attorney fees be added to what he owes me? I really cant afford that at this time. My main concern is, also according to the decree, ex was supposed to pay the back taxes for the past two years... those are about $4000... well, those havent been paid either and I'm concerned the state will try to take my home. (?) He had until April 1st to pay those and never paid a dime. Ex and I are on better speaking terms now than we have ever been, but when I talk to him about this, he gets upset and says he doesnt have the money. He recently got remarried and had a huge wedding, went on a big fancy honeymoon, etc. If he had the money to do that, you know he can pay the measley $75/MONTH payment. Hes a supervisor at Pepsi and I know he makes good money. So... do I have to have an attorney to go to court for this "contempt" again? Throughout the divorce process he was held in contempt for non payment of child support, house payment, taking things from the home, etc. but the judge just kept LETTING HIM BY WITH IT. Whats the point in contempt if its just a slap on the wrist? I'm fed up. Its the principal behind it, he owes it and needs to pay it. By the way... on his honeymoon he and his wife also got tattoos with each others names... he told my daughter his was $600... HOW redneck... um... I mean "romantic." But, once again... think that $600 could have been put to better use? So... any advice?

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I no longer have an attorney and I have checked around, I can retain another one for around $700 to take him back to court. If I have to go this route, can these attorney fees be added to what he owes me? I really cant afford that at this time.
You can ask for your attorney fees to be paid HOWEVER that does not mean you will see that money either. You can also go pro se as long as you are willing to learn.
My main concern is, also according to the decree, ex was supposed to pay the back taxes for the past two years... those are about $4000... well, those havent been paid either and I'm concerned the state will try to take my home. (?) He had until April 1st to pay those and never paid a dime.
It is possible they will put a lien against the house if both you and your ex are still listed as owning it. Are the back taxes also in your name? You need to see about getting that money garnished from him. Just because the family court states that he has to pay a debt doesn't mean the creditor will abide by that -- in fact they don't have to and if it is your debt in your name you are still legally responsible.

Ex and I are on better speaking terms now than we have ever been, but when I talk to him about this, he gets upset and says he doesnt have the money. He recently got remarried and had a huge wedding, went on a big fancy honeymoon, etc. If he had the money to do that, you know he can pay the measley $75/MONTH payment.
Really? How do you know he had the money to do that? How do you know HE paid for it. He does have a wife. She could be paying for it with HER money.

Hes a supervisor at Pepsi and I know he makes good money. So... do I have to have an attorney to go to court for this "contempt" again?
No you do not need an attorney.

Throughout the divorce process he was held in contempt for non payment of child support, house payment, taking things from the home, etc. but the judge just kept LETTING HIM BY WITH IT. Whats the point in contempt if its just a slap on the wrist? I'm fed up.
Okay you are fed up.

Its the principal behind it, he owes it and needs to pay it.

Really? it has nothing to do with the money? Well if that is the case then YOU pay the taxes and that way the house will not be at risk and go after him for reimbursement. I mean it is not about the money. That way your house is safe. Oh and have you removed him from the mortgage by the way?

By the way... on his honeymoon he and his wife also got tattoos with each others names... he told my daughter his was $600... HOW redneck... um... I mean "romantic
Can you be any more judgmental? What he and HIS WIFE do is NONE of your business. NONE.

But, once again... think that $600 could have been put to better use? So... any advice?

What his wife and he do is NONE of your business. What his wife purchases is NONE of your business. What money his wife has IS NONE of your business. Do you get the idea yet? She is allowed to spend $600 on whatever she wants. And it is NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS! Take him to court for contempt. Ask for them to garnish his check for the $75 a month. And go from there.

pack4

You need to see about getting that money garnished from him. Just because the family court states that he has to pay a debt doesn't mean the creditor will abide by that -- in fact they don't have to and if it is your debt in your name you are still legally responsible.
Garnished!? Perhaps you missed the part that he has been held in contempt numerous times, garnishment was requested when I had an attorney, and that was only granted for child support...thank God. Further, Just because I said I wasnt trained in law doesnt mean Im stupid, I know that if the debt is in my name Im still legally responsible.

Really? How do you know he had the money to do that? How do you know HE paid for it. He does have a wife. She could be paying for it with HER money.
I only know what he is telling me. His wife is unemployed and estranged from her parents, so I'd say it was his money. Plus, I did say that he verbally says he doesnt have the money.. "because he was out so much on his wedding."

Okay you are fed up.
Wow you can read... must be cool to repeat what someone just stated. Huh?

Really? it has nothing to do with the money? Well if that is the case then YOU pay the taxes and that way the house will not be at risk and go after him for reimbursement. I mean it is not about the money. That way your house is safe. Oh and have you removed him from the mortgage by the way?
Ok...the principal behind it meaning he has a DEBT (so, yes, MONEY owed) and not theprincipal behind it to teach him a lesson. I could care less about lessons, I want my money. That's pretty much the whole point of my post, right? Are you a rocket scientist? And, well, lets see... I just got through saying I dont really have the money to pay $700 in attorney fees- I've had excess medical bills lately... lemme just pay this out of the spare change jingling in my pocket. Of course that would be great that my house would be safe... but duh!? Reimbursement? I'm still laughing about that one. He has been removed from the mortgage upon the finalization of the divorce.

Can you be any more judgmental? What he and HIS WIFE do is NONE of your business. NONE.
Well, lets see... can you? It is NONE of your business how I personally feel. But, for arguments sake. I stay completely out of their business. I totally keep to myself. But, just curious, what does that have ANYTHING to do with your thoughts on a legal matter? :rolleyes:

What his wife and he do is NONE of your business. What his wife purchases is NONE of your business. What money his wife has IS NONE of your business. Do you get the idea yet? She is allowed to spend $600 on whatever she wants. And it is NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS! Take him to court for contempt. Ask for them to garnish his check for the $75 a month. And go from there.
Well, lets see, I NEVER, let me repeat, NEVER said anything about HER money. And I NEVER said SHE spent $600 did I? Nope... he did. That was what he told my daughter who in turn told me, I didnt even ask- or care. I have my own life- much much happier than I ever was with him, and I just want was is rightfully mine. My daughter has been deprived of many things in the past because I had to pay out so much on debt her father racked up...its time he be a man and pay up. But, saying that to a judge will get me nowhere. You should really read the whole facts before passing judgement on someone... but, thanks for the entertainment value I got out of your reply. :)

Last edited:

Bali Hai

Garnished!? Perhaps you missed the part that he has been held in contempt numerous times, garnishment was requested when I had an attorney, and that was only granted for child support...thank God. Further, Just because I said I wasnt trained in law doesnt mean Im stupid, I know that if the debt is in my name Im still legally responsible.

I only know what he is telling me. His wife is unemployed and estranged from her parents, so I'd say it was his money. Plus, I did say that he verbally says he doesnt have the money.. "because he was out so much on his wedding."

Wow you can read... must be cool to repeat what someone just stated. Huh?

Ok...the principal behind it meaning he has a DEBT (so, yes, MONEY owed) and not theprincipal behind it to teach him a lesson. I could care less about lessons, I want my money. That's pretty much the whole point of my post, right? Are you a rocket scientist? And, well, lets see... I just got through saying I dont really have the money to pay $700 in attorney fees- I've had excess medical bills lately... lemme just pay this out of the spare change jingling in my pocket. Of course that would be great that my house would be safe... but duh!? Reimbursement? I'm still laughing about that one. He has been removed from the mortgage upon the finalization of the divorce.

Well, lets see... can you? It is NONE of your business how I personally feel. But, for arguments sake. I stay completely out of their business. I totally keep to myself. But, just curious, what does that have ANYTHING to do with your thoughts on a legal matter? :rolleyes:

Well, lets see, I NEVER, let me repeat, NEVER said anything about HER money. And I NEVER said SHE spent $600 did I? Nope... he did. That was what he told my daughter who in turn told me, I didnt even ask- or care. I have my own life- much much happier than I ever was with him, and I just want was is rightfully mine. My daughter has been deprived of many things in the past because I had to pay out so much on debt her father racked up...its time he be a man and pay up. But, saying that to a judge will get me nowhere. You should really read the whole facts before passing judgement on someone... but, thanks for the entertainment value I got out of your reply. :)
Geez, I can't imagine why he dumped your ass.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I wouldn't expect ANY help on this site due to your attitude. Have a good life. Karma's a bitch ain't it?

pack4

I wouldn't expect ANY help on this site due to your attitude. Have a good life. Karma's a bitch ain't it?
I had no intentions of being nasty on this site... you just jumped my case about his wife for no reason. You made me out to be something I'm not, but it doesnt matter... You get what you pay for, eh? Karma is a bitch... must be nice to have such a "life" that you sit on sites like this and give your "oh so powerful" thoughts. Karma? Ha? Sucks when it bites you right in the butt. hahaha You are a riot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">