• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

divorce final, was to get things Oct 31, still all over my house

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

positivecdiff

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

Divorce final Oct 8th, he didn't show up. Judge ok'd what we requested as far as things, I got kids bedroom and my bedroom, we split couches and tables, lamps. He was to also take his tools and lawn equipment. He was to be out WITH his stuff by October 31st. Thank goodness he left but only took clothes, couch, our girls tv (he was not allowed to take that, he snuck that out) meanwhile the garage is full of his crap. I've been telling himi want it gone for weeks bc I need to park in the garage, I've got 4 kids, I'm disabled and I can't scrap ice off my van. I have him written notice via text and email that his items needed to be removed by December 27 or they would be disposed of how I would see fit. Up until this time he has access to the garage to get the stuff out, but not to my home. On the 28th I changed the garage access code and of course he went bizerk.
He is more mad at the whopping $200 child support he's got to pay! Well he's buddies with the landlord of this place and they came up with a plan that since ex pays me $200, my LL has now raised my rent exactly $200 each month with a week notice. I'm convinced my LL will give ex this $200 because my girls has heard them discussing this a couple times.

My question is can I start getting rid of these things? I'd like to give some to my neighbor and I can use the mower for myself. I just need to get the big stuff out. Can I do that now?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

Divorce final Oct 8th, he didn't show up. Judge ok'd what we requested as far as things, I got kids bedroom and my bedroom, we split couches and tables, lamps. He was to also take his tools and lawn equipment. He was to be out WITH his stuff by October 31st. Thank goodness he left but only took clothes, couch, our girls tv (he was not allowed to take that, he snuck that out) meanwhile the garage is full of his crap. I've been telling himi want it gone for weeks bc I need to park in the garage, I've got 4 kids, I'm disabled and I can't scrap ice off my van. I have him written notice via text and email that his items needed to be removed by December 27 or they would be disposed of how I would see fit. Up until this time he has access to the garage to get the stuff out, but not to my home. On the 28th I changed the garage access code and of course he went bizerk.
He is more mad at the whopping $200 child support he's got to pay! Well he's buddies with the landlord of this place and they came up with a plan that since ex pays me $200, my LL has now raised my rent exactly $200 each month with a week notice. I'm convinced my LL will give ex this $200 because my girls has heard them discussing this a couple times.

My question is can I start getting rid of these things? I'd like to give some to my neighbor and I can use the mower for myself. I just need to get the big stuff out. Can I do that now?
You really need to move. Your landlord also cannot raise your rent with a week's notice either. Google landlord tenant laws Indiana and do some reading.

positivecdiff

I'm looking berry hard to find a new place. I believe I found a place that I could live that goes off your income, it would be a blessing but I couldn't get in there until March. I will get a small tax refund February so I figured if I could make it this month at least.

You are correct, he's legally required to give 30 day notice at the least, but I can't afford an attorney and when I told him legally he's got to give me 30 days he said well, it also only takes me 30 days to evict you.

I've already given him every penny I've got so to be evicted would be horrible. I'd rather be evicted before I paid all my money so I could at least get a hotel or something. I just don't know what to do.

Can I pay it then bring a civil suit later to get the funds back?
I just was going to sell my exs riding mower or his little trailer to get the money. Pawn stuff or something but I don't want to get in trouble later if I do that.

LdiJ

I'm looking berry hard to find a new place. I believe I found a place that I could live that goes off your income, it would be a blessing but I couldn't get in there until March. I will get a small tax refund February so I figured if I could make it this month at least.

You are correct, he's legally required to give 30 day notice at the least, but I can't afford an attorney and when I told him legally he's got to give me 30 days he said well, it also only takes me 30 days to evict you.

I've already given him every penny I've got so to be evicted would be horrible. I'd rather be evicted before I paid all my money so I could at least get a hotel or something. I just don't know what to do.

Can I pay it then bring a civil suit later to get the funds back?
I just was going to sell my exs riding mower or his little trailer to get the money. Pawn stuff or something but I don't want to get in trouble later if I do that.
He cannot evict you in 30 days either. He cannot evict you at all, you are not in violation of the lease. If you are no longer on a specific term lease (if you are month to month) he can give you 30 days notice to move, but if you didn't it would take him at least another 60 days before he could go through all of the formality to actually evict you.

Please google landlord tenant laws Indiana and read up on your rights, because what this guy is doing is little short of criminal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">