• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

The divorce is final. What about my credit?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

123michellee

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? missouri
I am writing you because I guess I need a lawyer. My husband has been divorced for about 8 years now. In the divorce decree, he was supposed to pay for the house that his ex wife lives in. He has been faithfully paying and is almost finished. He recently was informed that she is in default of payinf the taxes on the house (which she is supposed to take care of along with the maintenance of the house). The house is due to be sold on the courthouse steps for taxes in August. She is also ruining his credit because she has not been paying the second mortgage that is also her responsibility. Please point us in the right direction.

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? missouri
I am writing you because I guess I need a lawyer. My husband has been divorced for about 8 years now. In the divorce decree, he was supposed to pay for the house that his ex wife lives in. He has been faithfully paying and is almost finished. He recently was informed that she is in default of payinf the taxes on the house (which she is supposed to take care of along with the maintenance of the house). The house is due to be sold on the courthouse steps for taxes in August. She is also ruining his credit because she has not been paying the second mortgage that is also her responsibility. Please point us in the right direction.
First, it's up to him to keep track of his credit. He should have insisted that she refinance the house years ago. While his credit may be damaged, it is extremely unlikely that he is going to get anything on that basis. Divorce court judges just aren't concerned about your credit.

He should:
1. File for contempt if she is not doing what the agreement says she should do. As part of the contempt filing, ask the judge to order her to refinance in her own name or, if she is unable to, to sell the house.
2. Contact the creditors to explain the situation. While he won't get the failure to make payments removed from his credit rating, he can probably get them to add a note explaining the situation.

Oh, and btw, your title is wrong. It has no impact on YOUR credit. Furthermore, you have no legal role in that battle.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">