• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce finalized, credit card debt still owed (and only in my name)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

porschepunk

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I filed for divorce a year ago and it is finalized. Our divorce papers say she is responsible for the credit card in my name. The balance on the card is about $3000. She has yet to contact me or send me any payment for the debt. I am still making monthly payments, and I really don't have the money to do so, as I have to pay late charges as well. My questions are as follows:

1) Do/ Can I file small claims paperwork for this outstanding balance?
a) Do I need to pay off the balance first before I file the paperwork?

2) I have her phone number. Should I hire someone to find her home address and place of employment before I call her, that way in case of any difficulties with her, I have that information to use against her in small claims? (Will it even be useful?)

I am not sure which option is best, or at least how to go about them properly without burning any bridges/other options. Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Jesse

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I filed for divorce a year ago and it is finalized. Our divorce papers say she is responsible for the credit card in my name. The balance on the card is about $3000. She has yet to contact me or send me any payment for the debt. I am still making monthly payments, and I really don't have the money to do so, as I have to pay late charges as well. My questions are as follows:

1) Do/ Can I file small claims paperwork for this outstanding balance?
a) Do I need to pay off the balance first before I file the paperwork?

2) I have her phone number. Should I hire someone to find her home address and place of employment before I call her, that way in case of any difficulties with her, I have that information to use against her in small claims? (Will it even be useful?)

I am not sure which option is best, or at least how to go about them properly without burning any bridges/other options. Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Jesse
Why was she ordered to pay the entire credit card balance in your name? Why didn't you negotiate some other division of property to leave you responsible for that but to receive other assets in exchange?

porschepunk

Why was she ordered to pay the entire credit card balance in your name? Why didn't you negotiate some other division of property to leave you responsible for that but to receive other assets in exchange?
All other assests were negotiated and all tangible items were accounted for, in which debt excesses assests. ( the credit card ) at the time she had nothing left of value after everything was complete. I hope that answers the question. Thanks for your help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">