• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce finalizing question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sschrupp

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Iowa

My wife (ex?) and I filed for divorce 105 days ago here in Iowa. We also submitted form FL-128 when we handed all the paperwork in together marking everything we could that said "We've settled everything ourselves and don't want the courts help". We also filed a motion to have the 90 day period shortened but that was denied. We've received nothing since then.

Well I guess we both assumed that sometime after 90 days we'd just get something in the mail saying "Congratulations you're now divorced" but neither of us have received anything. So we're both getting a bit nervous that maybe we missed something somewhere in the process.

I was digging through the papers and I found orders the clerk gave us when we signed everything over. It says a mediation education class is required within 45 days, mediation is required within 90 days, a pretrial conference at 120 days, and a trial setting conference a month after that.

Didn't us filing the FL-128 form render all that pointless? We don't need a mediator because we've already settled everything. We've been living apart for almost 4 months now. We both agreed on everything and the FL-128 reflects that. So we've missed the education class and mediator deadlines if they really are required.

Is there a way to waive the pretrial conference and trial setting conference? We don't need a trial. We just want to move on with our lives. And if there's no way to avoid those two things will it be an issue that we didn't do the mediation class and talk with a mediator?

This just seems silly. We consider ourselves divorced and we're both ok with that. We've settled everything between ourselves. There's no children, no inheritance issues, etc. It should be a simple cut and dry case.

Thanks.

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Iowa

My wife (ex?) and I filed for divorce 105 days ago here in Iowa. We also submitted form FL-128 when we handed all the paperwork in together marking everything we could that said "We've settled everything ourselves and don't want the courts help". We also filed a motion to have the 90 day period shortened but that was denied. We've received nothing since then.

Well I guess we both assumed that sometime after 90 days we'd just get something in the mail saying "Congratulations you're now divorced" but neither of us have received anything. So we're both getting a bit nervous that maybe we missed something somewhere in the process.

I was digging through the papers and I found orders the clerk gave us when we signed everything over. It says a mediation education class is required within 45 days, mediation is required within 90 days, a pretrial conference at 120 days, and a trial setting conference a month after that.

Didn't us filing the FL-128 form render all that pointless? We don't need a mediator because we've already settled everything. We've been living apart for almost 4 months now. We both agreed on everything and the FL-128 reflects that. So we've missed the education class and mediator deadlines if they really are required.

Is there a way to waive the pretrial conference and trial setting conference? We don't need a trial. We just want to move on with our lives. And if there's no way to avoid those two things will it be an issue that we didn't do the mediation class and talk with a mediator?

This just seems silly. We consider ourselves divorced and we're both ok with that. We've settled everything between ourselves. There's no children, no inheritance issues, etc. It should be a simple cut and dry case.

Thanks.
There are lots of 'simple cut and dry' cases that are anything but simple. The court is designed to ensure that justice is served, even if it means a little inconvenience for some people.

Your questions are all procedural rather than legal. As such, you may be able to get the answers from your court clerk. The clerk can not offer legal advice, but they may be able to help you with the process of filing things. I'd start there.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">