• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce and finances

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AndyBoy

I live in California.

My wife and I have decided to divorce. Productive conversations between us concerning money are impossible. How can I safegard the money in our joint CDs, and bank accounts, if I move out, before we obtain a divorce?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

mistoffolees

I live in California.

My wife and I have decided to divorce. Productive conversations between us concerning money are impossible. How can I safegard the money in our joint CDs, and bank accounts, if I move out, before we obtain a divorce?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Talk with an attorney.

In general, once you file for divorce, she cannot dissipate marital funds. However, she is allowed to use the money for normal living expenses and legal fees. Some attorneys will recommend that you withdraw 1/2 of the money and place it into a separate account, but this is a risky strategy unless you stop using the marital account at the same time. Go with an attorney's advice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">