• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce (Florida) is there a standard form?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tpa05

What is the name of your state? Florida

Is there a "standard" form for divorce used here in the state of Florida? My wife and I agreed that it's time to divorce and so I'd like to at least begin looking at what document(s) I will need to complete. Any advice as to where I might find such a form?

Is there a "standard" form for divorce used here in the state of Florida? My wife and I agreed that it's time to divorce and so I'd like to at least begin looking at what document(s) I will need to complete. Any advice as to where I might find such a form?
This is the website that I used to download the necessary dissolution of marriage forms, all forms are free and you can fill them out on the computer if you have Adobe Acrobat Professional. Good luck to you !!

http://www.flcourts.org/gen_public/family/forms_rules/index.shtml

tpa05

Thanks BlissfulMommy. I looked through them and noticed that they're broken down in what I'll describe as marriage types. What I mean is Husband/Wife w/no child, H/W with children etc. I'll be the husband one on the forms.

This is so all of a sudden to me. We went on vacation during the middle of March (three weeks ago) and on the third day in we get into a fight about something that was so ridiculous that I'm too embarrassed to even put it in this thread. I realized early on that the argument had nothing to do with our disagreement and that there (might be) some motivation for her continuing to argue. Anyway she eventually got to the point where she declared that she was tired of this and mentioned divorce. I'll stop there.

The reason I even mention the above is that I'd worked so hard to find the place that would make her the happiest. It did. She mentioned over and again (and I could see it on her face) that she was the happiest she'd been in years. Then this. I'm shaking my head as I write this.

Now I'm scared to death. Where will I live? I don't think she'll hurt me custody wise. I say this as I could take this time to condemn her parents but I'd be so wrong in doing so. They are perhaps the nicest and most helpful Mother and Father in law a husband could hope for. Regarding the custody issue, it would be them who would make sure that all is well and fair. My big concern is that I know that she'll have primary custody and just the idea of not having my son around at night is tearing me apart.

Sorry for the diatribe. I just thought I'd try to summarize why I'm even here. This is my first post and so if this is not the place to insert details like I've done here please let me know.

Thanks again. If there are any more suggestions please let me know.

Gracie3787

Other sources of info for Florida is:

www.flcourts.org

http://phonl.com/fl_law/rules/famlawrules for family law rules

http://phonl.com/fl_law/rules/frcp for Florida rules of civil procedure

www.flsenate.gov/STATUTES for divorce laws in chapter 61

tpa05

Before I begin please let me thank you for your help. Here's another question, is there such a thing as a "mutual property and custody agreement form? I'm told you can make one up yourself but I'm wondering (again here in Florida) if there might be such a form.

Again, thank you so much for your help.

tpa05

I think I found it (902f1) if I'm not mistaken. What I'm reading (and trying to figure out) is the order of events/filings as I'm reading them. I thought perhaps I could do this on my own but I'm not so sure after reading the forms. Simple things such as the meaning of terms such as "personal service" have me convinced that doing this on my own is perhaps not the best thing to do.

Thanks again and any help/suggestions are appreciated.

LdiJ

I think I found it (902f1) if I'm not mistaken. What I'm reading (and trying to figure out) is the order of events/filings as I'm reading them. I thought perhaps I could do this on my own but I'm not so sure after reading the forms. Simple things such as the meaning of terms such as "personal service" have me convinced that doing this on my own is perhaps not the best thing to do.

Thanks again and any help/suggestions are appreciated.
It really is better to have an attorney....both of you should have one. If you are in agreement on everything the cost shouldn't be dramatic.

tpa05

Thank you Ldij. I think you're right (to say the least) regarding an attorney. What I'm hoping to do is at the very least try to understand what we're in for regarding the sequence of events and what forms we should expect to fill out - and in what order.

This thread was pretty specific regarding what/where to find forms here in Florida. I'm very pleased with all of the responses, and while I'd like to continue using this thread to post other questions besides form issues, I'm thinking a seperate thread for things such as "what is the sequence for filing paperwork" might be better placed (and responded to) if put in it's own seperate thread. I say this as I'm new to this forum and what I guess I'm doing is asking members if this is indeed what I should do.

I can't hit the "submit reply" button without again saying thank you for all of your responses. Again, I'm shaking my head here as I never expected to be posting questions about how to get a divorce when less than a month ago I was on an airplane with my wife heading to Costa Rica on a trip I planned over a period of several months.

For the record, she's stated on several occasions that she enjoyed the trip and appreciated my efforts to find a place she would indeed enjoy.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">