• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce from foreign national

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Harry Lyme

What is the name of your state? Illinois

I'm a citizen of Illinois but have been residing in Japan for the past 20 years. In 1994 I married a Japanese National in Illinois, but we have been separated since 1996, 11 years.

My spouse and I never resided together in the US, we were only together there for 2 weeks for our marriage ceremony. We never had our marriage officially recognized in Japan, and she never received US citizenship, or filed a US tax return. We have no children, and no property. We haven't spoken together in at least 4 years, and I'm not sure I can even get a hold of her now. I am now living in a different area from her.

My question is, can I get a divorce, or something, without her being notified? Can I do this without returning to the States? Can I just have our marriage expunged somehow?

Thank you.What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?

Harry Lyme

Thanks for your reply

I'm pretty sure she is still living, but I don't know for certain.

I may have a phone number, as long as she hasn't changed her cell phone, other than that nothing. Do you know what a person can do if the spouse can't be found?

LdiJ

I'm pretty sure she is still living, but I don't know for certain.

I may have a phone number, as long as she hasn't changed her cell phone, other than that nothing. Do you know what a person can do if the spouse can't be found?
You are residing in Japan and are a legal resident of Japan. Therefore if you were to file for divorce, Japanese law would apply....and we know nothing here about Japanese law.

The US recognizes legal marriages peformed in any country, whether they are "registered" in the US or not. The US also recognizes legal divorces from any country, again whether they are "registered" or not.

I have absolutely no idea whether or not Japan does the same.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">