• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

divorce in ga

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mike2277

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? georgia

My wife and i have been apart for more then 2 years. She has been living out of state for more then 12 months. Our 7 yr old daughter lives with me and my wife has never done anything for her monetarily. I had a lawyer here and she filed my case originally in April 07'. My wife has never been served because we never knew where she was. Now that I have an address on her and know her work location I have been calling my lawyer for 3 weeks and leaving messages. I learned that she has closed her office and is working for a firm. She will not respond. I even called her at her new location. I have 2 questions. What advice can you offer as far as how to proceed on the divorce case and is there anything I can/should do about my past lawyer. I like most people have been affected by this economy so money is tight. I paid my last attorney 1K and i feel like she stiffed me.

Thanks in advance

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? georgia

My wife and i have been apart for more then 2 years. She has been living out of state for more then 12 months. Our 7 yr old daughter lives with me and my wife has never done anything for her monetarily. I had a lawyer here and she filed my case originally in April 07'. My wife has never been served because we never knew where she was. Now that I have an address on her and know her work location I have been calling my lawyer for 3 weeks and leaving messages. I learned that she has closed her office and is working for a firm. She will not respond. I even called her at her new location. I have 2 questions. What advice can you offer as far as how to proceed on the divorce case and is there anything I can/should do about my past lawyer. I like most people have been affected by this economy so money is tight. I paid my last attorney 1K and i feel like she stiffed me.

Thanks in advance
$1 K isn't very much for a divorce filing and an effort to find your ex.

I would send a letter to the old attorney saying that she's no longer your attorney, then hire a new attorney to complete the job. If she really didn't do anything, then you could ask for a refund of unused funds, but I doubt if there's anything left.

mike2277

No I was trying to find her. My lawyer did nothing. That is why I say I feel like she stiffed me. She could have at least sent me a letter saying that she was closing her office or not going to finish my case. Do you think I have a good case for abandonment?

mistoffolees

No I was trying to find her. My lawyer did nothing. That is why I say I feel like she stiffed me. She could have at least sent me a letter saying that she was closing her office or not going to finish my case. Do you think I have a good case for abandonment?
Your lawyer did nothing? Then why did your original post say "I had a lawyer here and she filed my case originally in April 07".

Before you go around making accusations that your attorney did nothing and is cheating you, you really ought to sit down and look at reality.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
She prepared and filed your case as well as handled the filing fees. So she did a heck of a lot frankly. And it probably could have cost you more than $1k for that. You dont' have a case for abandonment. Before now when was the last time you were in touch with her?

mike2277

Ok i see what you are saying as far as my lawyer. As far the abandonment I was referring to the case against my stbx wife. I have not heard from my lawyer at all. I will be getting a new lawyer I guess.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">