• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce Ground**************Decicion

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LATIN74

What is the name of your state? New York

Hi,

I need some advice.
I want to divorce my wife for number of reasons (Abandonment, Verbal Abuse Etc).
She does not want to sign the divorce or accept the grounds of abandonment because she just want to get Immigration Benefits (A permanent Green Card). Me and my lawyer are trying to negotiate with her. She will only accept the divorce, if the ground says that I verbally abuse her.

What do you think about this. (The lawyer says that it is fine, that it wont affected me since I am a USA Citizen.

I will go for trial, but if I can do it this faster way better.

Thanks for you comments.

nextwife

Hmmmm.

They want you to make fraudulant representations so she can have permanent residency? I'd sure never agree to lie to the court and state I was abusive if I was not.

LATIN74

Divorce

Yes, she is looking for her resident. If I go to court, i will have to pay between 1,000 and 2,000 dollars to the lawyer. If I do it this way, I can divorce her.
Do you think that will affect me as a USA Citizen?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Yes, she is looking for her resident. If I go to court, i will have to pay between 1,000 and 2,000 dollars to the lawyer. If I do it this way, I can divorce her.
Do you think that will affect me as a USA Citizen?
It could most definitely affect you. You state you abuse her and she can then use that to get a restraining order. She can also attempt to keep you away from any children you may have or restrict you to supervised. If you have a restraining order against you that would impact your ability for employment. Plus you would be committing perjury. Which is a felony.

nextwife

If there is no verbal abuse, you'd be committing fraud! Why would you want there to be a public record stating you were (verbally) abusive? You may have a nasty divorce or custody fight someday when you do have kids, and this could come back to bite you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">