• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce in Hawaii for married in The Philippines

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Andy1946

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Hawaii

Hi. I married a Filipina in The Philippines in 2003. About a year ago we separated by friendly decision for the best for us both because our interests are very different, and we want each other to be happy. Will an uncontested divorce here in Hawaii actually make us divorced here in the USA, or are we still married in The Philippines and that overrules the divorce, etc.?

Thank you!

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
This might prove to be of use...

http://tokyo.philembassy.net/consular-section/services/civil-registration/judicial-recognition-of-foreign-divorce/

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

Hi. I married a Filipina in The Philippines in 2003. About a year ago we separated by friendly decision for the best for us both because our interests are very different, and we want each other to be happy. Will an uncontested divorce here in Hawaii actually make us divorced here in the USA, or are we still married in The Philippines and that overrules the divorce, etc.?

Thank you!
Does Hawaii have jurisdiction over her? Has she ever lived in HAWAII! HAWAII! HAWAII?

Last edited:

LdiJ

Thank you!
I happen to know a little bit about this. The Philippines does not have divorce. Once you are married, you have to stay married. However, the Philippines will recognize a divorce that takes place elsewhere, as long as their citizen does not actively cooperate with the divorce process.

Yes, you can divorce in Hawaii, but unless your wife remains in the US, (assuming that she is in the US) she won't be divorced as far as the Philippines is concerned if she actively cooperates with the divorce process. So you won't really be able to do an uncontested divorce. You might be able to get divorced by default if she simply doesn't respond.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It was a typo, Stealth. OG intended to type Hawaii and typed in her own state instead.

LdiJ

Oooookay. HI and OH are close to one another...
Haven't your fingers ever been on autopilot?...LOL I have caught myself typing some really dumb words sometimes when I meant something totally different. Its like my fingers have memorized a certain sequence and if I am not going there, they go there without me.:D

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Haven't your fingers ever been on autopilot?...LOL I have caught myself typing some really dumb words sometimes when I meant something totally different. Its like my fingers have memorized a certain sequence and if I am not going there, they go there without me.:D
I WAS actually looking at the keys on the keyboard, and noting that they ARE close to one another. :rolleyes:

Andy1946

Does Hawaii have jurisdiction over her? Has she ever lived in HAWAII! HAWAII! HAWAII?
Hi Ohiogal. Ooops... We were married in September 2002 in The Philippines. She came to Hawaii in June 2003, then applied for and received Resident Alien status. She just became a Citizen yesterday.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">