• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Courtney28

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Hampshire
I am leaving my husband and moving to a friend of mines home for awhile with our three children. My Husband doesn't think that her home is going to be satisfactory for our children because it is only a three bedroom and she has two children. Also, he wants split custody, does this mean I don't get child support? We also own a home together, am I entitled to half of our assets?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Hampshire
I am leaving my husband and moving to a friend of mines home for awhile with our three children. My Husband doesn't think that her home is going to be satisfactory for our children because it is only a three bedroom and she has two children. Also, he wants split custody, does this mean I don't get child support? We also own a home together, am I entitled to half of our assets?
You are entitled to 1/2 of the marital assets, you are responsible for 1/2 of the marital debts. If you have a true 50/50 timeshare then the higher earning parent would likely still pay some child support to the lower earning parent. If its is not a true 50/50 timeshare then the parent with whom the child spends more time, would likely receive child support.

If you can make adequate sleeping arrangements for your children in your friend's home, then the fact that its only three bedrooms will not cause a problem. All of the girls could be in one bedroom, all of the boys in another, and one of the adults take one bedroom and the other take the couch.

If you google an online child support calculator for your state, you can run numbers to get an idea about child support.

Just Blue

You are entitled to 1/2 of the marital assets, you are responsible for 1/2 of the marital debts. If you have a true 50/50 timeshare then the higher earning parent would likely still pay some child support to the lower earning parent. If its is not a true 50/50 timeshare then the parent with whom the child spends more time, would likely receive child support.

If you can make adequate sleeping arrangements for your children in your friend's home, then the fact that its only three bedrooms will not cause a problem. All of the girls could be in one bedroom, all of the boys in another, and one of the adults take one bedroom and the other take the couch.

If you google an online child support calculator for your state, you can run numbers to get an idea about child support.
Of course she has the option of NOT uprooting the children to squash them all together like that...I mean...It is a thought!;)

LdiJ

Of course she has the option of NOT uprooting the children to squash them all together like that...I mean...It is a thought!;)
True, but we always tell parents not to move out of the marital home without their children...unless a judge orders them to do so.

Just Blue

True, but we always tell parents not to move out of the marital home without their children...unless a judge orders them to do so.
Yup. And Dad has the right to file for custody of the children as well...Personally, unless we were in danger, I wouldn't take my children from the comfort of their home to live in such cramped conditions...It would get old real quick for all involved.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">