• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MICHAELRICHARDS

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida, I need some advice on what I should do or can do I have been in divorce since Dec and I have spent alot of money to date even my 401k and now I am tapped out.

The attorney that I had just withdrew that I have been telling him for awhile of where I stood and I wanted advice from him and that I will finish his bill as I can, and long story short he could have done alot to help my case so that it would not have gotten so exspensive but I know that it is his business.

Do I need to ask the judge to appoint an attorney to finish or can I now that I am broke, I filed and my wife lied and recieved legal aid to counter that is why my cost got so out of hand.

Would it be in my best interest to have the same attoney's that work out of legal aid to represent me in this or should I look else where for some help or should I just withdraw and see what happens I have lost everything already what more can happen. Any help would be appreciated

mistoffolees

The court will not appoint an attorney for you since it's not a criminal case.

You can try legal aid if you qualify. You can NOT use the same legal aid attorney as your wife, though (well, technically, it MAY be possible, but it's a bad idea).

Otherwise, you'll need to come up with the money or do it without an attorney (which could lead to very painful and expensive consequences down the road even if you have nothing now).

MICHAELRICHARDS

Question

I tried to get legal aid and I now am waiting for a call back as you said it would be hard with my wife already useing them, But they are going to see if there is an outside attoney that can do it and if they will take me on now waiting.
If they cannot help me should I ask the judge to postpone or can I or do I have to ask for a dissmisal or am I stuck to defend myself and I know that the attack will be comming soon I am stuck in a hard place.

mistoffolees

I tried to get legal aid and I now am waiting for a call back as you said it would be hard with my wife already useing them, But they are going to see if there is an outside attoney that can do it and if they will take me on now waiting.
If they cannot help me should I ask the judge to postpone or can I or do I have to ask for a dissmisal or am I stuck to defend myself and I know that the attack will be comming soon I am stuck in a hard place.
I didn't say it would be hard for you to use Legal Aid because your wife is. I said you could not use the same Legal Aid attorney. Unless there's only 1 attorney there, that shouldn't prevent you from using them.

As for delay, "I don't want to spend the money on an attorney" isn't justification for a delay. And it's certainly not going to get you a dismissal.

If you really can't find the money for an attorney (borrow from family, get a second job, whatever), then you'd better be spending your time in the library learning court rules and procedures in your state.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">