• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is divorce information made available to the public?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

flinchy1

Is divorce information made available to the public? Could I find out the dates and reasons someone got divorced?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

flinchy1 said:
Is divorce information made available to the public? Could I find out the dates and reasons someone got divorced?
My response:

Yes, it's public information; however, you'd have to know which county in the United States was the forum county where the divorce occurred. Without knowing the location of the court, it would be like looking for a "needle in a haystack." If you know the State name, you might want to hire a "process server" company to run a Statewide search for the information.

IAAL

F

flinchy1

Thanks

Thank you very much. I do know where this occured (thank goodness!)

M

maryp

If you do a search on vital records for the State concerned that will bring you to the website of the Government Offices. This usually offers an online method of ordering divorce records - even if you don't know the county involved. A lot permit you to order either online or by telephone using your credit card.

Additionally, there is an online company:

http://www.vitalchek.com/

They seem to handle a lot of the vital records for the whole of the States even with the barest of information. Recently, a friend of mine was able to get a divorce certificate even when they didn't know the spouses full name, had three different variations of the grooms name, didn't know the County and needed to search a 12 year span.

Best of luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">