• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

divorce and inheritance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dmoon20669

What is the name of your state? Washington state
I married 3 years ago. In Jan. 2003 he moved out. There were problems with his drinking within the first 6 months. I know we cannot repair this relationship. I was the main wage earner in our marriage. He owes over $20,000 in back child support to his ex wife. I have recieved no financial help since he left. Here is my question Washington state is a community law state. He left in January and neither of us filed the divorce or seperation papers. My dad passed away May 31st 2003. My soon to be ex husband had left me 5 months before that. Now he wants a part of what I will inherit from my dads estate? HELP! I would think he would not be entitled to anything of my dads.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

dmoon20669 said:
What is the name of your state? Washington state
I married 3 years ago. In Jan. 2003 he moved out. There were problems with his drinking within the first 6 months. I know we cannot repair this relationship. I was the main wage earner in our marriage. He owes over $20,000 in back child support to his ex wife. I have recieved no financial help since he left. Here is my question Washington state is a community law state. He left in January and neither of us filed the divorce or seperation papers. My dad passed away May 31st 2003. My soon to be ex husband had left me 5 months before that. Now he wants a part of what I will inherit from my dads estate? HELP! I would think he would not be entitled to anything of my dads.

My response:

As in all community property states, as I am sure it is in most states, inheritances and gifts given to one spouse never become community property; i.e., Property acquired during marriage by "gift, bequest, devise, or descent" (i.e., inter vivos or testamentary gift or intestate succession) is the acquiring spouse's separate property.

You're not legally obligated to give him a penny. If he insists, tell him to pay for a lawyer for advice.

IAAL

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">