• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce - International considerations

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DavidL66

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Hi,

I am a British Citizen currently living in the UK
My wife is an American Citizen currently living in California

After knowing each other for three years we got married in Las Vegas in 2007 (we were sober!)

For various reasons our plans for her to move to the UK never happened and we decided in late 2013 to end our relationship

We have never lived together, only visited each other several times a year for periods of up to six weeks.

We do not have any shared financial affairs; no jointly owned property or investments, and we do not have any children, though she has three children from previous relationships.

I would now like to proceed with formerly ending our marriage.

My questions are:

Do I file in the UK or should I file in California or Las Vegas?

What is the most efficient way of resolving this?

As far as I am aware, my wife will not contest the divorce and I would like it to be as amicable as possible.

Thanks in advance

D

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Hi,

I am a British Citizen currently living in the UK
My wife is an American Citizen currently living in California

After knowing each other for three years we got married in Las Vegas in 2007 (we were sober!)

For various reasons our plans for her to move to the UK never happened and we decided in late 2013 to end our relationship

We have never lived together, only visited each other several times a year for periods of up to six weeks.

We do not have any shared financial affairs; no jointly owned property or investments, and we do not have any children, though she has three children from previous relationships.

I would now like to proceed with formerly ending our marriage.

My questions are:

Do I file in the UK or should I file in California or Las Vegas?

What is the most efficient way of resolving this?

As far as I am aware, my wife will not contest the divorce and I would like it to be as amicable as possible.

Thanks in advance

D
You file in the UK, because that is where you legally reside. In the alternative, she could file in CA, because that is where she legally resides.

I am not familiar with divorce in the UK, but divorce in CA is very simple if there are no children or marital property to divide.

Last edited:

DavidL66

Thanks for the reply.

I assume that I would have to take some kind of action to notify my wife that I was filing?
Would it be some sort of notice?
Would she have to respond to it?

Cheers

LdiJ

Thanks for the reply.

I assume that I would have to take some kind of action to notify my wife that I was filing?
Would it be some sort of notice?
Would she have to respond to it?

Cheers
Again, I am not familiar with UK divorce but yes, I would assume that you would have to serve her and that she would need to respond. Speak to a solicitor in the UK. She might just have to sign off on the paperwork.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">