• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce and L2 Status

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

magnolia2306

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

We are both from the UK and married there prior to coming here, can I get a divorce in the US or do I have to use legal counsel in the UK ? We have been in Florida for a Year. married 1 year 3 months

My Husband is on an L2 spouse visa, he wants a divorce, I know the following.

If we divorce his visa is no longer valid and he must leave the US.

What I dont' know is, if he moves out and we are not living as man and wife does that invalidate his L2 status? If it does will that affect me if he were to get caught ?

I'm not even sure this is really the right forum for this question ?!

Also he has not worked since we have been here and we owe 10,000 USD between us, he seems to think he can walk away with his truck and motorbike and not have to pay any towards the debt...? He has been working now for three weeks and getting paid and just sorting out somewhere to live, he is getting good money so I'm not sure if this is true ?

Thanks

latigo

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

We are both from the UK and married there prior to coming here, can I get a divorce in the US or do I have to use legal counsel in the UK ? We have been in Florida for a Year. married 1 year 3 months

My Husband is on an L2 spouse visa, he wants a divorce, I know the following.

If we divorce his visa is no longer valid and he must leave the US.

What I dont' know is, if he moves out and we are not living as man and wife does that invalidate his L2 status? If it does will that affect me if he were to get caught ?

I'm not even sure this is really the right forum for this question ?!

Also he has not worked since we have been here and we owe 10,000 USD between us, he seems to think he can walk away with his truck and motorbike and not have to pay any towards the debt...? He has been working now for three weeks and getting paid and just sorting out somewhere to live, he is getting good money so I'm not sure if this is true ?

Thanks
It makes no difference where you were legally married, but you cannot have the marriage dissolved anywhere within the “USA”.

However, it can be done in Florida, provided that one of you has resided in that state for at least a period of 6 months. (Florida Statutes Section 61.021)

And that your grounds qualify under F. S. 61.052. One of which is that the “marriage is irretrievably broken”. In other words, you married a worthless bum.

Also, because of the emigration it is doubtful that you could obtain a divorce in the UK. I say doubtful because I don’t know the residency requirements, but I assume they have them. (We stole most of their laws, including the bad ones.)

OHRoadwarrior

You can certainly file for divorce in FL if you meet the state requirements. Further you can notify USCIS of the divorce in progress and your rescission of the spouses sponsorship. Upon the granting of the divorce, his L2 should be revoked and he can go home.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">