• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce law for international marriages?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nym9

I am researching divorce terms of common law vs. community property states, and had a question about what the terms are when the marriage is performed outside USA, or on a cruise?

rmet4nzkx

We don't do homework.
If you had a specific question, that might be answered, laws vary between states.
This site is for US laws only.

nym9

Homework? :rolleyes:

My question is about US laws, if you dont know the answer feel free to not reply again:

If US citizens marry overseas and then divorce in USA, which applies - common law, community property, or something else?

nym9

rmet4nzkx said:
You are not going to get any other answer.
:confused: I tried to dumb it down as much as possible for you.

Why dont you let someone else try answering, its a pretty simple question.

nym9

Look at how easily your feelings are hurt, with your petty ad hominem attacks.

I dont claim to be an expert, I ask questions.

You want to be an expert, so you post replies. Over 6000 of them.

But....you dont answer questions, you dont solve problems, you dont offer advice.

You just post many many replies, over 20 in the past 10 minutes, with a total of zero answers, zero help:

https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=227123
https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=228328
https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=228388

What a waste of time.

AHA

nym9 said:
I am researching divorce terms of common law vs. community property states, and had a question about what the terms are when the marriage is performed outside USA, or on a cruise?
You might have a bigger chance of advice if you like inform people of ....hm WHICH state in the US you are divorcing in, that's just for starters to kick things off. You're welcome.

S

seniorjudge

nym9 said:
We don't do homework.

rmet4nzkx

seniorjudge said:
We don't do homework.
Thanks Judgy ;)
Unfortunately nym9 doesn't understand English very well, nor can he give the state, most likely because it relates to the annulment thread he linked, I think he may be the bigamist in that thread :rolleyes: since he is asking questions about international Marriage and divorce and he is in NY which is where the husband in the annulment thread resides.

nym9

AHA said:
You might have a bigger chance of advice if you like inform people of ....hm WHICH state in the US you are divorcing in
I have to compare the differences between the states to determine that. Any advice, thanks in advance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">