• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

divorce law reform in Wisconsin

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dale_wi2002

What is the name of your state? WI
I am trying to call attention to the need for marital property reform, as it relates to divorce, in Wisconsin. I am going through a divorce, and have begun to call these laws, the "gold digger protection act”. I am wondering how marital behavior cannot be a factor in a divorce, if it is part of the original agreement between spouses. How can the marital property laws not apply in divorce law? How can property be valued at the date of the divorce, and not the date of separation? How can a person’s premarital property be mixed into a half share, and not allocated on a percent of ownership basis? Nearly one half of all marriages end in divorce. When people get married, they don't often get prenuptial agreements. I am sorry now, that I didn't have one, but at least the marital property laws should apply at divorce, regardless. I am asking you to please consider addressing some of these issues, and try to begin a discussion about how these laws can be tweaked, so that they are not so restrictive in how marital property is divided. As they are now, if person marries someone, and that spouse is unfaithful, they have a choice of allowing it to go on, or giving up half of all they have. This is in effect, a license for a person who contributes less financially to a marriage, to behave as they please, and get half of the other spouse’s property upon divorce. This is unjust, and needs to be addressed. Please help!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">