• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

divorce law tennessee

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

meera_76

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
legal immigrant from got married to US citizen in India and again in TN. we met through marriage bureau and his profile said he did not have medical problems . He revealed he suffers from spina bifida after the wedding. I comforted him but he refused to consummate the marriage . He said he dated before wedding but when I revealed i loved somebody too before wedding he became suspicious and blames the failure of our marriage on my past eventhough I am still a virgin. i left my doctoral program because of him . he has income over 120k per year and house. he offered me compensation. considering my parents spent a lot on my wedding i am not sure how much I am entitled to legally. My family is saying the divorce he can get in USA will not be valid and I can fight for more compensation in my home country. we were engaged for 3 months and stayed together after marraige for 6 months and i am at his mothers place for past two months and he is insisting I sign the divorce papers and leave please advise

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
legal immigrant from got married to US citizen in India and again in TN. we met through marriage bureau and his profile said he did not have medical problems . He revealed he suffers from spina bifida after the wedding. I comforted him but he refused to consummate the marriage . He said he dated before wedding but when I revealed i loved somebody too before wedding he became suspicious and blames the failure of our marriage on my past eventhough I am still a virgin. i left my doctoral program because of him . he has income over 120k per year and house. he offered me compensation. considering my parents spent a lot on my wedding i am not sure how much I am entitled to legally. My family is saying the divorce he can get in USA will not be valid and I can fight for more compensation in my home country. we were engaged for 3 months and stayed together after marraige for 6 months and i am at his mothers place for past two months and he is insisting I sign the divorce papers and leave please advise
You met through a matchmaker? Or were you marrying to get into the country? He sponsored you for residency here?

LdiJ

You met through a matchmaker? Or were you marrying to get into the country? He sponsored you for residency here?
OG, remember a different culture, different norms. Arranged marriages still happen quite frequently in India...and its no longer as much of a big deal to come to the US as it used to be. Even migration from Latin America is 40% off.

LdiJ

You do not have to cooperate with a US divorce. You can return home to India and get a divorce there. However, since his assets are in the US, you could find it difficult to enforce a property division/compensation ordered by an Indian court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">