• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce laws in NY

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Rick32

NY

I was maried for 7 years. The relationship had broken dowm and i moved out. She has 4 children from previous relations.
I agreed to let her have the house. We both have debts from the merage. How much am I responsable for? Am i suposed to just keep paying her bills??

Bali Hai

NY

I was maried for 7 years. The relationship had broken dowm and i moved out. She has 4 children from previous relations.
I agreed to let her have the house. We both have debts from the merage. How much am I responsable for? Am i suposed to just keep paying her bills??
More information needed: i.e.

Is she working?

single317dad

All of that will be determined during the divorce proceedings, either by a judge, or fully/partially on agreement of the parties.

http://www.divorcenet.com/states/new_york/nyfaq04

Has anyone filed for divorce yet? If you intend to get a divorce, you should begin the process. Until you do, you're just living separately from your wife.

Rick32

She is working. We havent filed as of yet. Im just trying to see what i should be expecting. Rumor has it i am responsable for all debts that occured during the merage. I jus don't see why I should pay for her credit card debt when I have my own. The house is in both our names and is curently on the market.

single317dad

She is working. We havent filed as of yet. Im just trying to see what i should be expecting. Rumor has it i am responsable for all debts that occured during the merage. I jus don't see why I should pay for her credit card debt when I have my own. The house is in both our names and is curently on the market.
The link provided will explain the basic gist of the process. Marital assets and liabilities will be divided equitably, depending on several factors, and spousal support may be ordered if appropriate (and requested).

Bali Hai

Your CC debt plus hers divided by two is typically what your responsibility would be.

Be very, very, very nice to the judge and that is what you just might end up with.

The house is on the market? How can you let her have the house if it is on the market? How much equity in the house?

Rick32

The house is on the market now. Hopefully it will sell. I'm not looking to get one up on her or anything. I just want closuer and don't know what to expect. She's pretty much in the same boat, So she says.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">