• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce & legal separation in Virginia

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

whitney05

What is the name of your state? Virginia

My husband had an affair. I caught him and he admitted it and if I needed, I could prove it. But he swears he's not seeing her anymore, though he's given me reason to suspect he's still lying. We're now separated and going to therapy but it doesn't look good.

In the Q&A section of this website it says for divorce in Virginia you must have a matter of grounds, which I do. BUT THEN IT SAYS (WITH NO EXPLANATION): "The grounds for divorce must be in existence when you file."

If we're separated, and we decide 6 mos from now to divorce, I certainly won't be able to prove he's still having the affair. Can this be right?

Also, if we get legally separated - how long before Virginia decrees the separation to automatically go to a divorce status (or does it ever?).

Thanks!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">