• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce and LRtrust

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

iravena

I live in CA, My husband is much older than me. We are going through uncontestable divorce. According to prenup in case of divorce I_ll get some small amnt of money. My husband has Revocable living trust where I am sole beneficiary of all his assets (which is not really big). If my husband will not change his trust after divorce do I still get his all assets after his death? Thanks

Last edited:

LdiJ

I live in CA, My husband is much older than me. We are going through uncontestable divorce. According to prenup in case of divorce I_ll get some small amnt of money. My husband has Revocable living trust where I am sole beneficiary of all his assets (which is not really big). If my husband will not change his trust after divorce do I still get his all assets after his death? Thanks
Correct. If he leaves you as the beneficiary of the trust, you will still receive his assets. However, do not expect that he will do that.

nextwife

ESpecially if he remarries or becomes a parent. My husband became a daddy at 52.
Paul McCarney at 62!

If you are not that old, why not work and accumulate your OWN assets?

iravena

Thank you for replyes. I am 55 and i am working. My income now 3 times more than his, but i started working full time only 2 years ago because i am from other country and it took time to learn English and get education. I asked this question because my husband's lowyer told him that he should not worry about trust and i will get only per prenup agreement. ;)

nextwife

So how long was the marriage? Even without a pre-nup, any PREMARITAL assets would not be included in the divorce. So, if the trust consists of money he had before the marriage, you'd have no claim to it.

LdiJ

So how long was the marriage? Even without a pre-nup, any PREMARITAL assets would not be included in the divorce. So, if the trust consists of money he had before the marriage, you'd have no claim to it.
Except upon his death IF he doesn't remove her as the beneficiary. However, I am nearly certain that he WILL remove her.

iravena

Thanks . We are married for 3 years, he doesn't have any family, we want to do divorce peacefuly, i am not going claim on any his assets. We are tenant in commone 50/50 of our house. Right now we both have trust where house goes to survival. Our divorce settlement suppose to have condition that we are not going change anything regarding house. I have daughter and i wonder can i leave my 1/2 of house in my trust to her in case if i die first but she would get it only after his death. I don't want hurt him in any respect, but he has some mental problems. Thanks a lot for your help

nextwife

Yes, if ownership IS TIC you can leave your interest to your heir and provide a Life Estate provision to insure his use of the property until his death.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Yes, if ownership IS TIC you can leave your interest to your heir and provide a Life Estate provision to insure his use of the property until his death.
Except for the fact that she said the divorce was to have a provision stating that NOTHING regarding the house would change. Hence she may not be able to do that per the divorce decree. Actual wording matters.

iravena

change title of house

We are own house in TIC 50/50. House was bough during out 3 years marriage on my husband's money. It was his decision to put my name on title, due to my concern that because of his bipolar disorder he can change his mind about anything (and I was so right). Is there is any condition that my husband change title of our house back only on his name?

LdiJ

We are own house in TIC 50/50. House was bough during out 3 years marriage on my husband's money. It was his decision to put my name on title, due to my concern that because of his bipolar disorder he can change his mind about anything (and I was so right). Is there is any condition that my husband change title of our house back only on his name?
No, he could not do that without your agreement, or an order from the judge in the divorce proceedings. However, he would have to pay out to you your share of the equity of the home if the judge were to order that the home was to become his sole property.

iravena

What can be condition that judge would order give him all house back? This house was bought as affordable housing for 230K and paid off, market price now is 430K. According to agreement we can’t sell this house for 15 years for market price. May be now we could sell it for 300K. How much I would get for my ½ if house paid off? Or it will be still equity? Like I understand my husband is going to try to get title back on his name. What is my strength? I have paper from his psychiatrist about his mental diseases….Thank you very much.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">