• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

divorce and medical insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sarah john

My estranged husband is filing for divorce tomorrow. We've been seperated since april of 2009, almost a year. I am diabetic so he has always had me on his medical insurance and paid for it. But he said the divorce will be final in three months. Is there a way i can delay this till i get on my feet and figure something out?

ecmst12

There are lots of ways to delay the divorce. But there are better ways to go about this too. You can ask that he pay for your Cobra payments for a few months, for one thing. Or that he continue to carry you on his insurance for a certain amount of time (most plans will allow former spouses to remain as covered dependents, so long as he doesn't remarry and want to add a new spouse). Do you have a lawyer? Does he?

Actually I just noticed that you said he hasn't even FILED for divorce yet. It is highly unlikely it will be final in 3 months anyway. Meantime, hire a lawyer. He won't be able to remove you even if he wants to before the divorce is actually final.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">