• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce in the military

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TexasSP

My wife and I have been married for 14 years and I am currently on active duty in Texas. I have been in texas for the last 3+ years during which she has lived in Maryland. I have recently been reassigned to Maryland and will be moving there within the next few months. I wish to seek a divorce but do not know whether to file in Maryland (where she lives and I will live) or to file in Texas. We have not technically co-habitated since 2005 or had sexual relations in about 2 years, although I have stayed at our home in MD many times over the last 3 years. When I move back to MD, unless I file for divorce in TX, I will be living at our home with her. I have read that in MD, you have to be seperated for 1 year before you can file for divorce and I just don't want to have to wait that whole year as I am anxious to begin a life without her. My question is that if I do not file in tx and wait to file in MD, do I still have to wait the year even if I am living with her again temporarily? And if I do have to wait that year, would it be better to file in TX before I move up there? Can I file in TX while I live with her in MD since TX is my official residence? Any advice would be appreciated

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">