• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce: In the military, stationed overseas.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jldivel

IM IN THE MILITARY AND STATIONED OVERSEAS. I JUST RECENTLY GOT HERE AND MY HUSBAND IS BACK IN VIRGINIA WHERE WE GOT MARRIED. WE ARE BOTH FROM OHIO AND WE HAVE ONLY BEEN MARRIED 5 MONTHS. HE ISN'T TAKING ANY ACTION AND THE LEGAL ADVICE IM GETTING OVER HERE IS NOT HELPFUL. I NEED ADVICE TO SEE IF I CAN GET THIS DIVORCE FROM ALL THE WAY OVER IN ITALY. ARE THEIR LAWYERS OUT THERE THAT CAN HELP?

:confused:

LdiJ

IM IN THE MILITARY AND STATIONED OVERSEAS. I JUST RECENTLY GOT HERE AND MY HUSBAND IS BACK IN VIRGINIA WHERE WE GOT MARRIED. WE ARE BOTH FROM OHIO AND WE HAVE ONLY BEEN MARRIED 5 MONTHS. HE ISN'T TAKING ANY ACTION AND THE LEGAL ADVICE IM GETTING OVER HERE IS NOT HELPFUL. I NEED ADVICE TO SEE IF I CAN GET THIS DIVORCE FROM ALL THE WAY OVER IN ITALY. ARE THEIR LAWYERS OUT THERE THAT CAN HELP?

:confused:
An attorney could help you, but you would have to hire one.

Jldivel

I was told that it couldnt be done from over here. I just don't want to hire one and find out that it's not possible because I can't come back to the states any time soon.

LdiJ

I was told that it couldnt be done from over here. I just don't want to hire one and find out that it's not possible because I can't come back to the states any time soon.
You have to hire one in VA...and it can be done. You should not however pay the attorney the retainer unless the attorney confirms that it can be done.

mistoffolees

You have to hire one in VA...and it can be done. You should not however pay the attorney the retainer unless the attorney confirms that it can be done.
In particular, she needs to address the residency requirements with the attorney. She may not meet the VA residency requirements.

LdiJ

In particular, she needs to address the residency requirements with the attorney. She may not meet the VA residency requirements.
Good catch...if she has maintained OH as her home state she would need to hire an OH attorney and do it there.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Not if her residency is in Ohio. She can also hire one in Ohio. OP what is your state of residency?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">