• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce in Mississippi

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

robfou007

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Mississippi.

My question is about m Father and step mother. Tey are getting a divorce after 30 years. They have a house and have had is appraised. They have met with a lawyer and had papers drawn up. My father will keep the house and will pay her the equity in 5 equal installments once the divorce is final. My step mothr tells my fate that she can stay in the house until the divoce is final and it is still his responsibility to provide until the divorce is final. Is this correct for residents of the state of Mississippi?

mistoffolees

My question is about m Father and step mother. Tey are getting a divorce after 30 years. They have a house and have had is appraised. They have met with a lawyer and had papers drawn up. My father will keep the house and will pay her the equity in 5 equal installments once the divorce is final. My step mothr tells my fate that she can stay in the house until the divoce is final and it is still his responsibility to provide until the divorce is final. Is this correct for residents of the state of Mississippi?
She can stay there until the court tells her to leave.

But you really need to stay out of it. You're not involved.

LdiJ

Yes, it is basically correct. She is free to stay in the home until the divorce is final.

robfou007

Does she have an independent income?
Right after the met with the lawyer, he lost his jub and is having a problem paying al the bills.. He gets social security, which is just enough to pay the house note and has about 5000 in a 401k. She has no job and about 10000 in a 401k.

LdiJ

Right after the met with the lawyer, he lost his jub and is having a problem paying al the bills.. He gets social security, which is just enough to pay the house note and has about 5000 in a 401k. She has no job and about 10000 in a 401k.
If his social security only covers the house note, then the house needs to be sold.

She does not have an independent income.

robfou007

If his social security only covers the house note, then the house needs to be sold.

She does not have an independent income.
with the market the way it is they would lose money on the house. They have only been in it since 2004.

mistoffolees

Then the two of them had better work on their finances. Sell the house and reduce their standard of living for a start. It doesn't really matter if the house has lost value. They need to get their expenses in line with what they can afford.

It's going to happen after the divorce, so they might as well start now.

nextwife

Dad is entitled to half the marital portion of spouses 401k, and the spouse to half of the marital portion of his 401k.

Last edited:

apaulk

I've never really considered the financial duities of people while they are still married. She is surely entitled to remain where she lives, but is he obligated to pay for her necessities? Where exactly does that duty come from legally? Perhaps it is inferred to be part of the marriage contract based on their past conduct. Could anyone walk me through this analysis?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">