• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce and money issues

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wen01va

What is the name of your state? Virginia

My husband and I were married on October 10, 2003. My grandfather passed away Jan 27, 2004. In his will, he left me his Social Security money and an IRA. It was only left to me... The only names stated in his will are that of my mother, father, and I. My name is the only name on the IRA and the Social Security money. I was wondering... if my husband and I get a divorce, and have to split everything... will he be able to take half of that money from me?

Also, we have different bank accounts. I have my bank account with my bank cards, and he has his bank account with his bank cards. We also have different vehicles. When I bought my car, I signed for it by myself, as he did the same. How would that work out? Would I have to still split my bank account with him, and him split his with me? Or would we just keep our own money and cars.

This is all so confusing to me.

LdiJ

wen01va said:
What is the name of your state? Virginia

My husband and I were married on October 10, 2003. My grandfather passed away Jan 27, 2004. In his will, he left me his Social Security money and an IRA. It was only left to me... The only names stated in his will are that of my mother, father, and I. My name is the only name on the IRA and the Social Security money. I was wondering... if my husband and I get a divorce, and have to split everything... will he be able to take half of that money from me?

Also, we have different bank accounts. I have my bank account with my bank cards, and he has his bank account with his bank cards. We also have different vehicles. When I bought my car, I signed for it by myself, as he did the same. How would that work out? Would I have to still split my bank account with him, and him split his with me? Or would we just keep our own money and cars.

This is all so confusing to me.
An inheritance is normally separate property. Since you have kept it separate it should remain your separate property. As far as the rest of your assets and debts are concerned, they would normally be split equally. However, since your marriage is quite short term...and since you have kept finances separate...that may not be absolutely necessary.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">