• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

divorce and mortgage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

txjulie

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas
my daughter recently obtained a divorce in Houston, Texas. In the papers, both she and her ex husband were retained on the mortgage, altho he is living in the house and she has remarried and is living in an apartment. My question is: can she now have her name removed from the mortgage since she no longer has any interest in the house?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

nextwife

Why isn't SHE asking this?

What does her divorce decree require as to refinancing or paying off the mortgage? Is she on title?

txjulie

SHE isn't asking because she's on her honeymoon with her second husband.
"I" am asking as a concerned mother, hoping to help remove any unnecessary stress from her life.
Yes, her name is still on the title... which is probably my main question. How can we get her name removed? My understanding is the divorce papers state he retains "custody" of the house (i.e... he is living in it while she is in an apartment) and it will eventually be sold; any proceeds will be split between them, likewise any loss.
We feel since he is living in the house, he should be making the payments solely. Which is why we are inquiring how to go about removing her from any responsibility for it.

mistoffolees

"I" am asking as a concerned mother, hoping to help remove any unnecessary stress from her life.
Yes, her name is still on the title... which is probably my main question. How can we get her name removed? My understanding is the divorce papers state he retains "custody" of the house (i.e... he is living in it while she is in an apartment) and it will eventually be sold; any proceeds will be split between them, likewise any loss.
We feel since he is living in the house, he should be making the payments solely. Which is why we are inquiring how to go about removing her from any responsibility for it.
Typically, the person who lives in the house would be responsible for paying the mortgage and other expenses.

This should have been addressed in the divorce. I really wish people wouldn't leave open issues like this. In particular, if I had my way, almost no one would ever have "the house will be sold some day and we'll split the proceeds" clauses.

How long ago was the divorce? That may affect the ability to get a modification.

More importantly, is this an issue that she and her ex can work out? For example, does he have the resources to buy out her share and refinance her off the mortgage? That would be the ideal solution. If that's not possible, she may have to go back to court to order the house sold, but that's not an ideal solution for lots of reasons (including the one that the court may not even grant the request).

The best solution will always be one that they can work out between themselves. If that doesn't work, it's going to be hard to come up with a forced solution that makes everyone happy - particularly if there's not a lot of equity in the house.

If there's equity in the house, there may be an option that could work even if he doesn't want to sell and can't afford to buy the house. Let's say the home is worth $200 K and there's a $100 K mortgage. In order to get her completely clear, he'd have to refinance for $150 K - $100 K to pay off the mortgage and $50 K for her. Everyone would be clear and her name would be off the mortgage and title. If that's not possible, they could consider him borrowing $100 K to refinance the mortgage and giving her a note for $50 K, payable with interest. If I were her, I'd certainly insist on a lien on the home in that case, but at least it would clarify things a bit.

Anyway, there are a lot of options and you'd need to provide more detail to sort them out.

LdiJ

Yes, he should be making the payments, however if the divorce decree doesn't spell out that he is to make the payments that is problematic.

The ONLY way for your daughter to be removed from the mortgage would be if he refinanced the house in just his name. If the divorce decree does not order him to do that, he doesn't have to do that.

In addition, it would be economically unwise for him to to that. It would just reduce the existing equity even more, creating a greater potential for a loss when the house sells.

Your daughter needs to monitor the account to ensure that the payments are being made, and if not, she is going to have to step up to the plate and pay them if she wants to preserve her credit.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">