• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce for Name Change, Hidden Problems?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Relmiw

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

My wife and I neglected to change our names when we were first married 6 months ago and are regretting our decision now. It seems we can either pay $420 for legal name changes, or possibly receive a poor person waiver for a $395 divorce fee, then remarry with a free name change for $40. Is there a hidden problem with going for the divorce route? We have the paperwork here and it is about an inch thick. Neither of us have been divorced before and are hoping for some insight into the issue.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

My wife and I neglected to change our names when we were first married 6 months ago and are regretting our decision now. It seems we can either pay $420 for legal name changes, or possibly receive a poor person waiver for a $395 divorce fee, then remarry with a free name change for $40. Is there a hidden problem with going for the divorce route? We have the paperwork here and it is about an inch thick. Neither of us have been divorced before and are hoping for some insight into the issue.
You have to be kidding right? You would actually contemplate a divorce so that you could get remarried and facilitate a name change?

Proserpina

You have to be kidding right? You would actually contemplate a divorce so that you could get remarried and facilitate a name change?

Call me cynical, but I wonder if this is the other spouse's attempt at getting rid of the OP without having to fight a costly divorce ;)

ecmst12

My DH and I didn't change our names for over a year after we got married. Had absolutely no issues doing it, went into the SS office with our marriage license and took care of it no problem.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">