• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce not imminent, but money issues driving issues

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

marpar

What is the name of your state? OH

When I married 6 years ago, I knew that my husband was in debt as a result of a previous divorce. I did not know that it was largely due to his "pothead" attitude. In my attempt to "rescue" him I took on a lot of financial responsibility that I am concerned about because I do not have a permanent job in which to recoup my losses. Although divorce enters my mind frequently, I dismiss it because I'm still in love with him and feel that I will get stuck with half of his debt. I can't afford a lawyer, but have a lot of questions that I need answered in order to protect what assets I do have and to assist me in digging myself out from under my financial insecurity. At 46 yrs. old I have a precious daughter with this man, so I am feeling an urgency to prepare myself for my future and hers. Is this a good place to get the much-needed-help that I am requesting?

LdiJ

marpar said:
What is the name of your state? OH

When I married 6 years ago, I knew that my husband was in debt as a result of a previous divorce. I did not know that it was largely due to his "pothead" attitude. In my attempt to "rescue" him I took on a lot of financial responsibility that I am concerned about because I do not have a permanent job in which to recoup my losses. Although divorce enters my mind frequently, I dismiss it because I'm still in love with him and feel that I will get stuck with half of his debt. I can't afford a lawyer, but have a lot of questions that I need answered in order to protect what assets I do have and to assist me in digging myself out from under my financial insecurity. At 46 yrs. old I have a precious daughter with this man, so I am feeling an urgency to prepare myself for my future and hers. Is this a good place to get the much-needed-help that I am requesting?
You may be able to get some help here....or we may tell you that you need to contact professionals in your area. Tell us a little more about your income and debt situations..for both you and your husband.

marpar

Money issues

OH

My husband was divorced in 1991 and did not take care of any financial responsibilities. He used credit cards to pay bills, did not pay employee taxes to IRS, avoided child support payments, etc. I married him knowing that he had issues. He quit a 20+ year pot habit but never changed his behavior associated with smoking pot. Hence, we are still in serious debt. Although I have preserved my credit over the past 6 years, I'm afraid that I could still become liable at any time, which will destroy my credit. Also, how can I start saving aggressively for my future when there seems to be such a high risk of losing it all? My husband has owned his auto repair business for 19 yrs. but shows absolutely no gains, only losses. He's gives the excuse that his ex-wife will take him back to court for additional child support. Meanwhile he only pays himself $400 per week for us to live on. I have had no medical insurance, clothing allowance, etc. My job is 8.50/hr., 2 days/wk, 5 days. I'm attempting to address all of my security issues via the Internet. Thank you for your help. It is greatly appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">