• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce Options in NY

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

Jeskalo

. I live in New York. In Sept. of 2000 I left my wife and in February of this year I served her with divorce papers .We have three adult children and she does not work outside the home. At first she said that she did not want a divorce because of religious beliefs. She had refused all of my financial proposals . She now has changed her mind and wants more than half of my monthly salary, life and health insurance for life along with all cost of living increases. My attorney stated that I could not meet those demands and now she and her attorney have stopped responding. My lawyer says she doesn't have to respond or do a thing about any of this. I have been told that I have very few , if any options.
According to NY laws I have a weak mental cruelty case against her even though our marriage has been a nightmare for many many years. So, I can either meet her demands, move to another state and file( quit my job of 25 years) or try to take it to court and most likely lose. I have also been advised that at any time she can turn around and sue me for abandonment even though I have and am still paying all living expenses for the both of us and making sure that she has spending money to maintain her lifestyle.
I have been thinking about withdrawing my case....letting HER take ME to court and taking my chances. Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated. $5000 and two attorneys haven't been able to help me much.

T

Toniree

Being that you are in NY, do you have valid grounds for divorce. I don't understand why your lawyers feel you have a weak case (or are they incompetent). If you guys have grown children, why should you be responsible for taking care of her for the rest of her life. I would say to stay married to her. Continue living your life the way you want and cut out the luxuries. After a while, she will be looking to get rid of you because she can't take you to court because you would not give her money for jewelry and things of that nature. As long as you pamper her, you will never get rid of her. When she finally leaves you (which she also would need grounds for to get any real money), let me know because you will be single again.:D

P.S. Try not to let her see you with any other women because adultry is grounds for divorce here in NY.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">