• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce paperwork confused

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

harleyhuny27

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina

I am thinking about trying to pursue my own divorce. I do not have money for the legal expenses a lawyer requires. I have ordered the book required to file the proper forms, and have been to and spoken with my local clerk of court. However on inspecting the various forms I am asked for gross income amounts and tax info. etc. of my spouse. I do not know these things and we did not file our 2008 taxes together. We own a piece of land together (we did have a house, but he let it get foreclosed on because he wouldn't make the payments) he wants to keep the land. I do not want anything from this man except a divorce. No equity, no distribution of property, nothing. So will I need to be required to list his assests, even though I do not know them, his net worth etc. If I do not want anything from him? Thanks for any help.

Golfball

If you don't want any property distribution, no support, and there are no kids involved, there should be no reason why you need to file an action for equitable distribution or post-separation support/alimony, which unless your county does something really weird, should not require your X's financial info.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">