• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce and pension

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jeff47434

I have been divorced since 2011. My divorce decree states that at the first qualifying event I have to pay my ex half of my pension. My ex is telling me that because I have been at my job 20yrs I have to retire and pay her. I'm only 45yrs old. Can I be forced to retire early to pay her?

LdiJ

I have been divorced since 2011. My divorce decree states that at the first qualifying event I have to pay my ex half of my pension. My ex is telling me that because I have been at my job 20yrs I have to retire and pay her. I'm only 45yrs old. Can I be forced to retire early to pay her?
No, you cannot be forced to retire early. Even if you somehow agreed to something like that you could not be held to it. However, if there is an opportunity to split your pension now, so that she can cash out her portion (if that is even possible) then you would need to do so.

No, you cannot be forced to retire early. Even if you somehow agreed to something like that you could not be held to it. However, if there is an opportunity to split your pension now, so that she can cash out her portion (if that is even possible) then you would need to do so.
Plus if you split it now without retiring, you can then continue to add to your retirement fund. Win-win.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">