• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

divorce and personal injury settlement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jackiehall

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois
ok..so I went to an attorney..he seemed to think that I need to give him $2500 first!!
The personal injury i recieved happened to me when i was the ages 12 til i was 17.My body was exposed to chromium six.Does that make my personal injury settlement seperate property because i was obviously not married when i was exposed?I have paid off "OUR" debts already and I put $5000 down on a new jeep for him.The debts equaled $23,000.00He is a journey man carpenter making $30 an hour and I am a student on trade act benefits.I do not have insurance and there is no guarentee I will not get sick in the future again.Hasn't he recieved enough of my settlement or will the judge grant him more?Before the settlement i have bank statements showing $110 in savings and $600 in checking. Help please!!!

Perky

You really need to keep all your posts on the same topic in the same thread. Starting three threads on the same topic is very annoying!! :mad:

In any event, I found some opinions on the subject. There are differences of opinion. You will likely need an attorney for your divorce, so that's who you should be questioning.

http://www.dcba.org/brief/junissue/1997/art70697.htm
http://family-law.lawyers.com/divorce/Personal-Injury-Awards-in-Divorce.html
http://www.lasorsalaw.com/lawyer-attorney-1093073.html
http://www.state.il.us/court/opinions/supremecourt/1996/september/opinions/html/80168.txt
http://www.divorce-lawyers-chicago.com/marital_properity.php

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois
ok..so I went to an attorney..he seemed to think that I need to give him $2500 first!!
The personal injury i recieved happened to me when i was the ages 12 til i was 17.My body was exposed to chromium six.Does that make my personal injury settlement seperate property because i was obviously not married when i was exposed?I have paid off "OUR" debts already and I put $5000 down on a new jeep for him.The debts equaled $23,000.00He is a journey man carpenter making $30 an hour and I am a student on trade act benefits.I do not have insurance and there is no guarentee I will not get sick in the future again.Hasn't he recieved enough of my settlement or will the judge grant him more?Before the settlement i have bank statements showing $110 in savings and $600 in checking. Help please!!!
Whether you want to spend the money or not, you really are going to have to hire an attorney to handle the divorce. 2500.00 is not too bad for a retainer.

jackiehall

well excuse me!

you..perroloco2.. shouldn't be so rude to people seeking help and who are very new to this kind of thing.Sekking help is hard enough and well excuse me if I'm am slightly computor illiterate.thanks a lot.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
you..perroloco2.. shouldn't be so rude to people seeking help and who are very new to this kind of thing.Sekking help is hard enough and well excuse me if I'm am slightly computor illiterate.thanks a lot.
Hello! You are the one being rude. All that happened was someone pointed out to you that it is confusing trying to follow your incomplete threads. And why shouldn't an attorney get paid?

Perky

Well, excuuuuuuuuuuuse ME!!! If I'm not mistaken, another poster mentioned the same thing in one of your other threads, but you apparently ignored her and started ANOTHER thread. Nevertheless, I gave you my time searching the internet for information that might be helpful for you. I regret that.

jackiehall

perroloco2 .....wow

i had already found those links. Thank you for your time however.I didnt ignore any one I just wasn't aware of how these chats worked.I am not being rude either i am just trying to say you should give some of us a break.We already get smaked around enough.

Perky

Baloney!

You were already asked to keep your posts together, or at least provide a link. You responded in one of your threads, so it's clear that you know you don't have to start a new one to post. That's not computer illiteracy. It's lack of common courtesy.

You're welcome for my time. If you had already found those links, then I have to assume that you didn't read them. I did. They were quite informational. If you had read them, then you would already know that your award is considered a marital asset in Illinois, but MAY be defined differently because your injuries were sustained before marriage. You would also know that the marital debts you paid likely will be deducted from your husband's potential share. You would also know that your future medical costs, as well as your financial situation will figure into the determination. You would also know that there is a lot of wiggle room, and that no one here can predict how it will turn out in the end.

Humusluvr

Wow... perro was RUDE? I wish Silverplum had responded to your thread!:rolleyes:

If you are computer illiterate, then pay your attorney's fees.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">