• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce Petition Form - Child Support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jrcorwin317

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

We have agreed on all terms. There will no child support paid, even though the calculator they provide suggests that she pay me. I'm the firms, there is a paragraph with blanks. You fill in who is paying and how much. How should we do this if neither will be paying?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
If the agreement is that neither of you are going to pay child support, then that should be reflected on the form.

single317dad

My initial boilerplate divorce decree stated that "neither party" will pay child support in the amount of "$0" per week.

LdiJ

Boilerplate decree that neither party has a duty to pay for the upbringing of a child? I don't think so.
No, that they did not have to pay child support to each other. They each provide for the child during their own time...and likely share any common expenses. Its not that unusual. Its not super common, but its not that unusual either.

single317dad

And if the judge accepts that initial agreement, would it be subject to future modification?
Yes.

Boilerplate decree that neither party has a duty to pay for the upbringing of a child? I don't think so.
The language I posted is the exact language from the self-help forms the state of Indiana provides to pro se divorce litigants. The values in quotations are exactly what was entered by our judge (at our request).

Our original decree was a bit unconventional in that there was no primary custodian named nor any support ordered. While this is happening more often in Indiana, it's not the norm by any stretch of the imagination. This was truly 50/50 in time and expense share and legal decision making, just as many new posters who come here envision when they conjure the image of "joint custody".

It lasted less than a year before we were back for modification.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">