• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

divorce PLEASE HELP ME

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bwd_26

she i trying to get my house

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?GA

Well she left me about a month ago.Now i get papers for a divorce,she wants half.The sad thing is i have no money or a job to get any money. If I had money for a lawyer I might win all.

My story goes something like this. I worked at a saw mill for about 26 years. I jumped down off of a three foot platform and broke my foot in 2 places .Not only did i break my foot i hurt my back and got never damage in my leg. This was about two years ago. I got a lawyer an sewed .Settled to quick I only got 17,000. I only owed 11,000 on my house piad it off.Paid bills with the rest witch didn't take long. She stayed for about three months after the money ran out.I have no income or nothing now. I have other people helping me out here and there.I still have to use a walker to get around because my leg goes numb an i will fall.We was married for about 17 years I paid all the bills house,utilites,insurance,and food she only paid for her car witch was about 550 a month. She got all of the furniture. Witch I have really no proof that i paid all those things. She wants 20,000 for the house and 300 for my car ,witch was only 400 when i bougth it .As you can tell i am not no rich man but dont the vouls mean something. Theres alot more i could say because i raised her son too.She left me here with nothing no food nothing .This is abandanment right. What can i do that might help me win this! I dont want to sell my house to give her the 20,000.

Yea she goes to church from Monday Thur Sunday.

sorry for the spelling and the writing not something I do all the time.If any other info is needed tell and I will get it Thanks to all that helps

Last edited:

nextwife

HOw long were you two married? Did you own the house before the marriage? Ther car values can be established based upon Blue Book, not some arbitrary pull-out-of the air number. You are also entitled to half of whatever SHE accrued DURING the marriage, including "her" car. She and you are each entitled to share in what was accrued DURING the marriage. And the value of the furnishings she took should be deducted from her share of settlement.

Last edited:

bwd_26

Owned the house 11 years before marrage

We live in thomaston GA .I owned the house for 11 years before we got married.I also raised her son for 16 years before she sewed for childsupport from his daddy.But i do have a son from another marriage who i did not support.Witch i regret now.Me and my exwife bought the house together.We divorced then she took her and my sons clothes and left me th house and everything else.Should my son have any part of this house or the exwife have any part of the house.Now me and my son or very close and my exwife an husband friendy.The exwife and my son are will to do what ever it take for me to be able to keep the house.I am going to see a lawyer tommorow

HOw long were you two married? about 14 years

Did you own the house before the marriage?11 years before i met her

I did go up to the bank and paid 11,000 on the house to pay it off in 2004 with my settlement .Alls she had to do is pay the bills no house payment

sorry about the rambleming just trying to give all the info i can i dont want to lose my house and thanks for the quick reply

bwd_26

Talk To A Lawyer Today

He says the judge would mosty favor in my behalf. Sence she left me and took everything in the house.Then a month later get divorce papers sent to my house.I know I might sould like a retard ,I just want to know where i stand.I dont want to affend anyone,but i could give joe blow some money and he could tell me the same thing.Please help me

I really need a peace of mind I could not stand to know she got my house. After I worked all these years to pay it off . Then she gets it and take off with another man or what ever she is going to do. Thanks again for any respones

Happy Trails

bwd_26 said:
He says the judge would mosty favor in my behalf. Sence she left me and took everything in the house.Then a month later get divorce papers sent to my house.I know I might sould like a retard ,I just want to know where i stand.I dont want to affend anyone,but i could give joe blow some money and he could tell me the same thing.Please help me

I really need a peace of mind I could not stand to know she got my house. After I worked all these years to pay it off . Then she gets it and take off with another man or what ever she is going to do. Thanks again for any respones

Georgia law divides marital property on a equitable basis. Equitable division of marital property does not always mean exactly equal. She would not automatically be entitled to one-half of any given material asset. She is entitled to an equitable division of the material property as a whole. Marital property generally refers to all assets acquired during the marriage. Marital property does not include property that one person receives by inheritance or gift.

Nextwife is right, you would be entitled to half the value of her car. Since this was marital property. She would be entitled to the amount of equity that the two of you accrued during the marriage.

nextwife

Happy Trails said:
Georgia law divides marital property on a equitable basis. Equitable division of marital property does not always mean exactly equal. She would not automatically be entitled to one-half of any given material asset. She is entitled to an equitable division of the material property as a whole. Marital property generally refers to all assets acquired during the marriage. Marital property does not include property that one person receives by inheritance or gift.

Nextwife is right, you would be entitled to half the value of her car. Since this was marital property. She would be entitled to the amount of equity that the two of you accrued during the marriage.
And half of the house accrual during the marriage would be half any appreciation between marriage and now, if the house is not exempt, NOT half the house. You owned it for years before the marriage, so it had value going into the marriage that is pre marital property.

Maybe all the stuff she took plus half her car is hopefully equal to any half of the house appreciation during the marriage? Remember anything you brought into the marriage, including furniture is NOT marital property. If she emptied the house of stuff you had before the marriage, that was an asset of which she was not entitled to recieve half.

LdiJ

Happy Trails said:

Something popped into my head here when he was talking about his other ex wife and the fact that she "left" him with the house. That had to be at least 18 years or so ago. I wonder, did they ever actually change the paperwork on the house? Did she quit claim the house to him? Was that quit claim ever recorded?

There is a slim chance that his first ex-wife may still legally own a 50% interest in his home. If so, that would change the equity basis regarding what his second wife could claim. She could only claim a share of his half of any equity accrued during their marriage. Depending upon the value of the assets that she took with her (car, furniture, appliances etc.), and any other assets she took (savings and checking accounts etc.) this situation may not be as "dire" for him as it first appears.

Happy Trails

LdiJ said:
Something popped into my head here when he was talking about his other ex wife and the fact that she "left" him with the house. That had to be at least 18 years or so ago. I wonder, did they ever actually change the paperwork on the house? Did she quit claim the house to him? Was that quit claim ever recorded?

There is a slim chance that his first ex-wife may still legally own a 50% interest in his home. If so, that would change the equity basis regarding what his second wife could claim. She could only claim a share of his half of any equity accrued during their marriage. Depending upon the value of the assets that she took with her (car, furniture, appliances etc.), and any other assets she took (savings and checking accounts etc.) this situation may not be as "dire" for him as it first appears.
Ahh, that would sure put a spin on things.

Sounds like it's going to be messy.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">