• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

divorce postponement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

reneewalker

What is the name of your state? ca

in may i filed the original divorce papers ( i am the petitioner-this is uncontested) and shortly after filed the proof of service papers. we now realize that we'd like the divorce to be final after the end of this year for tax purposes. should i wait until the first of the year to file the rest of the papers? is that legal?

thanks

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

reneewalker said:
What is the name of your state? ca

in may i filed the original divorce papers ( i am the petitioner-this is uncontested) and shortly after filed the proof of service papers. we now realize that we'd like the divorce to be final after the end of this year for tax purposes. should i wait until the first of the year to file the rest of the papers? is that legal?

thanks

My response:

Sure. California doesn't rush litigants. The file stays "alive" until it's either finally adjudicated, or until the parties file a Request for Dismissal form. So, you can wait as long as you like.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">