• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce proceeds

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Fisherbird

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I am simultaneously going through a divorce and a wrongful termination lawsuit. I separated from my spouse in January and was terminated at work three months later in March. The employment lawsuit focuses on ADA discrimination and links my termination to a bout of clincial depression and breach of confidentiality.

Question: Are the lawsuit proceeds likely to be marital assets or non-marital assets??

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I am simultaneously going through a divorce and a wrongful termination lawsuit. I separated from my spouse in January and was terminated at work three months later in March. The employment lawsuit focuses on ADA discrimination and links my termination to a bout of clincial depression and breach of confidentiality.

Question: Are the lawsuit proceeds likely to be marital assets or non-marital assets??
Had you already filed for divorce when you got terminated?

I do think that you need to consult with a local attorney.

My biggest concern is that you have no idea what the outcome will be of your wrongful termination suit. You could spend enormous amounts of money fighting your ex on this issue, and then if the wrongful termination suit doesn't produce a settlement, or produces only a small settlement, that you could end up in the hole.

Therefore I do think you need answers from a local attorney, rather than from an internet forum.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">