• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce in process

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

aoyen81

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ND

Ok - I'm going to try to make a long story as short as possible. A friend of mine is going through a divorce process that is going to be long and ugly. When it comes to dating or seeing people what are the "rules" or laws associated with this? Her soon-to-be-ex is making it extremely difficult and she's really wanting to move on and start trying to see other people - nothing serious but just to keep a life. He on the other hand wants to be controlling and not let her move on - there is no chance of reconciliation at this point and she's really stuck.

So to sum it up - are there any laws that would prevent or repercussions of her dating before the divorce is final... but in the process (they are legally separated at this point).

Thank you for any information.

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ND

Ok - I'm going to try to make a long story as short as possible. A friend of mine is going through a divorce process that is going to be long and ugly. When it comes to dating or seeing people what are the "rules" or laws associated with this? Her soon-to-be-ex is making it extremely difficult and she's really wanting to move on and start trying to see other people - nothing serious but just to keep a life. He on the other hand wants to be controlling and not let her move on - there is no chance of reconciliation at this point and she's really stuck.

So to sum it up - are there any laws that would prevent or repercussions of her dating before the divorce is final... but in the process (they are legally separated at this point).

Thank you for any information.
There's one simple one. If she's really serious about not wanting a serious relationship, then keep the dating to friendship or non-intimate relationships. If she does that, he can't say anything about it. Not to mention that it's not particularly wise to get involved in a serious relationship while going through an ugly divorce.

If she chooses to have a sexual relationship, then she's committing adultery. However, given that they're legally separated, there probably won't be repercussions - unless there are children and she has the other person over when the kids are there.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">