• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce and Property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kwalla

What is the name of your state? New York

I bought my house in 2000 in just my name. My boyfriend has been living with me and we are planning to get married.

If we get a divorce, will he have a claim to my home?

H

hexeliebe

DO not put him on the deed. DO NOT refinance and have his name on the mortgage.

Although I will wait until someone more knowledgable with the laws of New York state to answer you, in general, pre-marriage assets remain those of the person who acquired them before the marriage.

This could change IF, after the marriage, your husband pays the morgage and/or adds significantly to the value of the home by performing repairs, additions or other work, but that's a question of equity, not ownership.

kwalla

Thank you for your quick response.

I have not/will not put him on the deed or refinance the house jointly. His paychecks have been deposited into my checking account for years (Just this year we opened a joint account) but all mortgage payments are with my signautre as I handle the bills for the house.

Good information to know, look forward to hearing more. Thank you very much.

annefan

kwalla said:
What is the name of your state? New York

I bought my house in 2000 in just my name. My boyfriend has been living with me and we are planning to get married.

If we get a divorce, will he have a claim to my home?

Get a Pre-Nuptial Agreement signed. Then you have no worries.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">