• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce by proxy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

joysgp3

What is the name of your state? Texas

My boyfriend is in jail in the state of Texas and has asked me to help him get a divorce. I have filed the paperwork for him but I will have to represent him in court as his proxy. Is this legal or not?:confused:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state? Texas

My boyfriend is in jail in the state of Texas and has asked me to help him get a divorce. I have filed the paperwork for him but I will have to represent him in court as his proxy. Is this legal or not?:confused:
It is absolutely legal...of course, I'm assuming that you've already passed the bar and been admitted to practice law in the state you are planning to do this in :rolleyes:

I suggest you find a "boyfriend" who doesn't already have a wife and who ISN'T in jail

seniorjudge

It is absolutely legal...of course, I'm assuming that you've already passed the bar and been admitted to practice law in the state you are planning to do this in :rolleyes:

I suggest you find a "boyfriend" who doesn't already have a wife and who ISN'T in jail
I agree on all counts.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">