• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce by publication?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

awtrlilee

What is the name of your state? Oklahoma

I have been seperated from my husband for almost 4 years. In Feb. of last year I ordered a divorce kit online-which was ok but, I can't afford an attorney.

He signed everything and returned it except for the child support computation worksheet. The judge denied it based on that. Now, he is refusing to sign that part of the paperwork, it's the only thing that's missing, mind you, and I can't get the divorce w/out it.

I live in Oklahoma and he lives in Texas, I haven't talked to him since June of last year and I've heard of divorce by publication but I have no idea about how to go about starting it. (I'm told this is how his mother divorced his father-by running an ad in the city's paper where she lived and in the paper where she had last heard of him living and after 30 days if left uncontested, the divorce is granted.)

I'm not sure what paperwork I need, if any, and what information is needed for me to prove to the judge that I can't contact him. I am willing to forfeit the child support, he doesn't pay anyway, I get it from his grandmother-I just need it done!!

Please help, thank you!!

bononos

It's baaaaaacck!

What a fitting name for the poster who refuses to grow up and stop interrupting other posters...ASSWIPE!
I couldn't have thought of a better name.

Gracie3787

awtrlilee said:
What is the name of your state? Oklahoma

I have been seperated from my husband for almost 4 years. In Feb. of last year I ordered a divorce kit online-which was ok but, I can't afford an attorney.

He signed everything and returned it except for the child support computation worksheet. The judge denied it based on that. Now, he is refusing to sign that part of the paperwork, it's the only thing that's missing, mind you, and I can't get the divorce w/out it.

I live in Oklahoma and he lives in Texas, I haven't talked to him since June of last year and I've heard of divorce by publication but I have no idea about how to go about starting it. (I'm told this is how his mother divorced his father-by running an ad in the city's paper where she lived and in the paper where she had last heard of him living and after 30 days if left uncontested, the divorce is granted.)

I'm not sure what paperwork I need, if any, and what information is needed for me to prove to the judge that I can't contact him. I am willing to forfeit the child support, he doesn't pay anyway, I get it from his grandmother-I just need it done!!

Please help, thank you!!
Since you know where your STBX lives, you cannot use notice by publication.

You will probably need to refile, this time having him served and treating it like it's a contested divorce. He will have to FILE an answer WITH THE COURT. This is the only way that I know of to get it into court. I may be wrong, so you should call around and see if a lawyer can give you a very low cost or free 15 minute consultation. Good luck.
Gracie :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">