• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

divorce by publication or serve?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jcolon515

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FL

ok i have run into a bit of a problem. Husband who i have been separated from b/c he left the country back to ecuador in 1994 had given me an address. Problem im having is it costs an arm and a leg to get him served in ecuador. I already filed all the divorce papers in my county and had put an address as far as where he lived . If i can't get him served in ecuador can i go back and do a divorce by publication?

Thanks!
Joyce

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FL

ok i have run into a bit of a problem. Husband who i have been separated from b/c he left the country back to ecuador in 1994 had given me an address. Problem im having is it costs an arm and a leg to get him served in ecuador. I already filed all the divorce papers in my county and had put an address as far as where he lived . If i can't get him served in ecuador can i go back and do a divorce by publication?

Thanks!
Joyce
I would not worry about divorce by publication at this time. Even if you have very expensive service in Ecuador, it's likely to be more expensive to do it by publication - even if you were allowed. I'm not sure you'd even be allowed because you know where he lives.

Jcolon515

:confused:So would that mean i would have to do service by publication in Ecuador b/c that's the last place he's known to be at. I was told it would be the last place here in the US?

im sooo confused

mistoffolees

:confused:So would that mean i would have to do service by publication in Ecuador b/c that's the last place he's known to be at. I was told it would be the last place here in the US?

im sooo confused
As I said, I would put divorce by publication aside and not consider it at this point. Focus on getting him served.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">